Chapter 4

When she walked into work the next day with a stormy expression upon her face and dark circles under her eyes, people were staring. She sighed, yawning and setting her messenger bag down at her desk. She sat down, spinning around in her chair to face an almost  equally as tired Ryder. "I got you coffee." He said in a way of greeting. She gave a sleepy nod, taking the mug. He slumped into his chair, sipping his own. " at least the girls don't come in for a bit.." She muttered. "Thank God.." He chuckled wearily. 

"Why couldn't you sleep?" She asked, her curiosity getting the better of her. "It was storming, didn't you hear it?" He said with a hint of something Carrie really couldn't name. It sounded unreal and false. "Uh, no." She replied, knowing it was a lie and deciding not to pry into his business. "what about you?" He drawled out in his thick Texas accent. "none of your business" She quickly sniped, causing him to raise his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay!" He winced, glancing around the nearly empty station. Everybody treated everybody's desk like they had invisible walls around them, which was quite nice, considering she liked being alone. They sat like that in silence for a while until there was a loud crash. Carrie winced noticeably.

 Someone had broken a glass once again and the sound of broken glass had startled her badly, her hand subconsciously leaping to her holster, where her gun rested comfortably in its pouch. She allowed a small smile to cross her face, releasing it. She watched them clean up, a frazzled trainee apologizing over and over. She yawned again, her head dropping to Ryder's desk as he chuckled. "I am not a morning person." She whined.

 He grinned, messing with her unruly curls of flame- colored hair. "Stop that.." She mumbled quietly. "You like it and you know it.." He grinned more, continuing to play with it. "actually, I just don't care." She informed him, her head tilting up before she sat all the way back up. "Here come the girls." Ryder noted, seeing the pair walking towards them. She didn't reply, but spun around so they didn't see she was being a little less than professional with her partner a moment ago. If there was one thing Carrie hated more than anything, it was being seen with her guard dropped. Ryder was one of the rare people that she dropped it around, seeing as they had been partners so long.

 She sighed softly. "Hi Liz, Alli." She greeted. "I got the statement from the witness in English and a sketch of the guy he thinks he saw." Liz informed, dropping a few papers on her desk. "Thanks. Ryder and I have car duty until noon, so you guys need to work on some theories, but don't go down to see the body until we're back, okay? It's your first time seeing one so we need to be with you." She said, giving them each a stare until they nodded in assent. Ryder was quiet this whole time, observing. "Let's go, Matthews." She said firmly, standing up. "Mam, yes mam!" Ryder mocked with a twinkle in his eyes, standing and grabbing his bag. She did the same and strode out the door, Ryder at her heels. Eyeing the retreating partners, Alli commented, "They're definitely in love." "Yep.." Liz giggled.