Chapter 6

When Carrie was awoke, the car was still moving. "Good afternoon, sleepyhead." Ryder greeted with a soft smile, keeping focused on the road. "How long was I out?" She groaned. "Long enough for me to pick up a car full of junkies and get lunch."He jabbed a thumb towards the back while he spoke. She yawned, trying to move her arm only to notice her gauze was changed and taped up. "You touched me while I was asleep?" Her eyes flashed in a warning as she glared at him. "Yes, I did. I didn't want you bleeding all over our nice leather seats, now did I?" He smiled a bit, pulling into the station and parking. "I'll book these guys. You go inside and relax, alright?" "Nngh.. okay,I guess."She grumped, stalking inside.

Many people were staring at her bandage and so she did the normal thing. She flipped them off. She sat at her desk and was greeted by mounds of paperwork and two frazzled teenagers, whom it appeared had been standing at the whiteboard all day thinking of case issues. "Liz, Alli." She greeted as she stood, walking to the board. "Oh my Gosh, Carrie! what happened?!" They said nearly in sync. She hid a smile. "Just a little bullet is all. I'm good." "Are you sure?" Liz asked in her clear, silvery voice. "Yeah, I'm good girls. Did you guys go out and comb for witnesses?" She asked, shifting her weight to her left foot and putting a hand on her hip in judgement.

"Er, well.. No." Alli mumbled quietly. "Then what in the hell were you doing all day?! " She snapped, glaring at them. "S-Standing here.." Alli stammered. She heaved a sigh, running a hand through her tousled hair."Guesswork isn't the same as police work you idiots." She grumped and swore under her breath. "You go get shot and then come back and your partner's guess on their work? Un- freaking real." She turned back to them. "I guess we have to do everything then? " She scoffed, stretching slowly. "We'll do it!" Alli nearly shouted. "Volume, Alli. That would be lovely though. Ask any of his business partners, anyone who might have had a grudge against him. Especially females" She sighed quietly, walking away as she spoke and flopping down in her desk chair.

"I never get a break.." She grumbled. "You should take a few days off." A husky voice whispered in her ear and a pair of rough hands slowly embraced her. She flinched, turning red. "Ryder!" She said in quiet surprise. "Yes?" He snickered, releasing her and standing in front of her. "Don't do that.." She blushed brightly. "In all seriousness though, we should go out for drinks tonight.You need to loosen up." He shrugged in a nonchalant way. "I'm busy." She sighed. She had intended to go to the gym after work because recently she had been slacking. "doing what, watching soppy chick flicks?" He smirked. "If you must know, working out." She mumbled.

"with that injury?" He asked in surprise. "Oh, yeah. I forgot.." She sighed. "I want to be alone, Ryder." She added with a soft frown. His eyes blazed with worry. "You always want to be alone, Carrie. Why?" "Because." she said lamely, pushing him away. "Leave me alone." "Fine,fine." Ryder sighed, walking away. Scowling deeply, Carrie closed her eyes and took a deep breath, her hands quivering slightly. Pressing her thumb to her lips and biting it slightly, she exhaled slowly. Biting her thumb was a habit she had picked up when she was learning how to stop sucking her thumb as a child, and doing so helped her to think in difficult situations. "Carrie? Do you want me to ask the captain if you can have the rest of the day off?" a soft male voice came tentatively.

Grumbling a few choice words under her breath, she released her thumb and forced her eyes open. "I'll be fine,Ryder." She frowned. "Hell, Carrie. Give yourself a break!" Ryder said indignantly, hands curling into fists and resting on her desk. "You went on a full day of car duty, got shot, and still want to work!" He growled. She maintained her steely gaze for a moment before giving in. "Fine. I'll go home, Matthews." She said softly. He relaxed."Do you want me to drive you home? It would be a good excuse to get out of this crazy place." He asked. "mm.. fine." She rubbed her eyes slowly. Pulling her along, the pair walked out of the precinct hand in hand.