Ch 55

The next day, I went to a restaurant to get food for Xavier. I was desperate at that point and could do anything to get my husband back. I needed to maintain a certain kind of closeness with him for that to happen.

"So I brought lunch" I smiled at him as I walked to his bedside. At least he didn't give me a look of contempt which I was grateful for.

"You hate garlic, so I made sure there is none in this" I sat beside him and the only thing he did was nod.

During the past few days, Xavier had been giving me cold treatments. The most he did whenever I spoke to him was shake his head and it was always frustrating, but I couldn't complain. I caused all of this. I pushed him away when he needed me. I was once hurt, but I wasn't hurt anymore. All I wanted to do was make him remember me.

I guided the spoon to his mouth and he ate slowly. When he was done, I was about to repeat the process, but he stopped me.

"How did we meet?" He asked and my heart leaped for joy. He hadn't mentioned anything about our marriage or asked any questions.

My joy soon faded when I realized I had no idea of what to say and I couldn't let him know my head was blank.

"We met at the restaurant where I worked".I lied, but I had to

"And I asked you out?" He found it hard to believe.

"No no. You didn't. You hated me at first"

"Why would I hate you?"

"I don't know," she shrugged. The questions were slowly starting to turn into an investigation. It was certain that he had doubts, but he chose to keep quiet after some time. "Even though I am your wife, I can't read your mind

Lucas walked into the ward and saw both of us. He excused Xavier and took me out.

She dropped the food on the table and after giving him a quick smile, she left the room.

"When are you going to tell him the marriage is fake," Lucas asked as soon as they got outside and she almost smacked him hard across the face.

"He doesn't have to know. I can't afford to lose him again"

"But do you realize if he finds out by himself, he might think you are a scam or a fraudster"

"He won't know. I want him to remember by himself. If he remembers, even though the marriage is fake, he will still remember the love we shared. The doctor said he will eventually get his memory and I'm going to stay with him until he remembers me"

"I hope he does. Because if he doesn't.. "

"He will," She glared at him before going back to the ward.

*****

Wendy heard a knock on the door. She groaned in frustration, judging from how exhausted she was. She could barely sleep due to how Amelia kept crying by her side all through the night.

She dragged her tired feet to the door. The moment she opened the door, she instantly felt revolted and wanted to shoot it back, but Liam held the door. He went on his knees as tears gathered in his eyes, but Wendy was too angry to feel a single atom of sympathy.

"Wendy, please listen to me"

"Liam leave this moment" she felt her anger building up, but she was still trying her best to keep her cool because she was slowly losing her mind.

"I shouldn't have made you hate me. I'm so sorry"

"Made me hate you? So this is all about you. You haven't changed, you are still selfish and heartless"