Risky Conversation.

(This whole chapter is really just fluff lol)

——————

This whole thing carried a shit ton of risk. What if he didn't even notice me trying to talk to him? What if he doesn't even like me as a friend? The tan tiled floor suddenly seemed beautiful as my eyes were locked downward.

This man is way out of my league, both romantically and platonically. Not that i'm focused on romance at the moment, but... I think it's important to note all possible relationships.

I act casual. I slide up beside him. fortunately, our mail lockers are almost next to each other, so it makes it easy to start up a conversation.

To get your mail, you must put in a code that was distributed to all residents of the building when they first moved in. I vaguely remember my code, so I stare at my locker like a moron.

"Mmm, you alright there?" He cocks his head to the side to look at my face. Oh my god, he's so cute. Butterflies violently swarm around in my stomach, and I can feel it. Part of it is not eating at all today, but most of it is from him.

"Oh? Uhm, yes i'm okay. I'm trying to remember my code number." I sheepishly admit. My confidence was soaring before I got here, but it plummeted as soon as he opened his mouth.

"Mmm, such a hassle, isn't it? They should've just given us keys." He sighs and shakes his head disapprovingly.

My mind races through all of the files of information I have stored in my head. Random memories pop up — Recipes I tried and failed to learn, books i've read and reread...

4471. I make a slight gasp as the number comes back into memory. His attention is grabbed and He chuckles. "You got it?"

"Yeah."  He looks away out of consideration as I punch it in.

The beige locker pops open and a few centimeters of mail stack up. I wasn't expecting anything so this is kind of a surprise.

"How's your new job?" He asks.

"Oh, it's fine. A little scary sometimes, but it's good." I avoid eye contact and reach for the mail.

"Mmm, that's what I expect. I'm too much of a wuss to be in a job like that. That's why i'm a milkman." He gives a dry smile. God, why is he so pretty?

"Yeah, it's scary but I make a good amount of money." I flip through the magazines, nothing of importance. Just ways to make yourself look prettier, fashion tips and weird recipes.

I close my locker and stack up all of the mail in a neat pile and stick it under my armpit.  My 30 bucks are safe in my left hand, gripped tightly. I turn and notice he's still staring at me.

I give a soft smile, but then the worst possible thing happens. My stomach gurgles. My eyes go wide out of embarrassment and I whine for a second.

His eyebrows raise. "You hungry or something?" He spoke in a teasing voice. I barely know this man and i've already gotten to the point where he's teasing me.

"Maybe." I mumble.

"Mmm, Hey, come back to my place. I have some food there."

"Really? I mean, I don't want to be a hassle, i'm fine." I hide my excitement.

"You're okay. I don't have any visitors over and I don't live with anyone. Just come over."

"Yeah, okay. Are you sure?" I ask again for confirmation.

"Mhm, follow me." He starts to walk off. I walk up next to him.

Mission accomplished. I did it. I talked to him AND i'm getting dinner with him. The risky conversation was worth it, 100%.