Rough Night.

I'm in the security room, alone. It's the weekend shift and Casey has off time. Break is necessary, I know that, but I wish he was here. It's strangely quiet without his breathing or presence or our strong opinionated conversations. Silent. Deadly silence.

There hasn't been anyone in hours. I check the wall for the clock, but it's not there. Must be getting fixed or something, so I shrug it off. There aren't any forms of entertainment around, I don't have any books to bring or pencils to draw with or cards to play with. I'm all alone with my thoughts.

My heart picks up its speed and now i'm uncomfortable. A sense of dread is rising inside of me, and I can't help but feel ... terrified. I know i'm alone, but i'm in a safe box, sectioned off from the rest of the world.

The door buzzes and a person fills the void of magenta background. Except it isn't a person. Of course it isn't a person. It's never just a person.

Long red tentacles squiggle around its body. It's supposed to resemble Francis. Of course it is. The man who I share a bed with. Why do you have to put this image in my mind?

Wide, rabid yellow tinted eyes stare down at me with nothing but hatred. It's as if i'm being shrunk by its gaze. This is no time to play, so without questioning I go to press the danger button.

But the glass won't lift up. I could always break it, okay. I'm going to break it. I got this. With what? The doppelgänger starts to grin at me. He's playing with me, and he likes it.

I try again to lift the hatch, nothing. Now i'm getting scared. That sense of dread is growing, and for good reason. I take in my surroundings, searching for a way to break open the cover.

Ah, fire extinguisher. Good thing they just recently installed this, right? I mean, it wasn't there before. I grab onto the handle and lift it up with a slight struggle, raising it above my head and smashing it into the glass.

The glass shatters and scatters throughout the desk and falls down to the floor. Something i'll have to clean later, but I don't care. This thing needs to die. I make sure the button doesn't have any glass sticking or hanging off of it, and I press it.

Except it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. No alarm goes off. Does the button not work? Over and over, smacking my fist into it as I grow more urgent and desperate for it to go off. It's doing what a button does — goes up and down, in and out, but no sirens are going off.

"You really thought you could get away?" It says, its voice unnaturally deep and terrifying.

"You really thought that you could get rid of me? We will win in the end."  It's tentacle slithers through the small opening where I receive documents and presses the button to let himself in. I sit back in terror, not knowing what to do. I'm frozen. And of course those buttons work. Of course. It's just my fucking luck.

The door is forced open and the doppel is inside the building with access to anyone. With access to me. I scramble up, the phone falling off the table and my chair on the ground, rushing to get out before the monster gets me.

But of course, i'm too slow. it barges open the door and corners me.

"You're a pretty little thing, aren't you?" It's mouth stretching into something larger than a smile.

Then, its head snaps back, to where he's looking straight up but it's not natural. A screech rattles the room and my bones alike, and i'm frozen. I'm still frozen. Why can't I run? What's wrong with me? Why is this happening?

Paralyzed with fear, and realizing there isn't anywhere to go as the monster approaches me, I scream. Top of my lungs, glass shattering scream. The tentacles curl around me and I thrash around violently, trying my hardest to be released out of its steel grip.