Chapter 1 ~ Stella

I never thought I could hate someone so much without even seeing them. It all started two days ago when my father barged into my room.
"Get ready," he said. I was taken aback by how angry he was.
"Get ready for what, father?" I said, my voice shaking. My father is a brutal man, he doesn't care who is in front of him; he can kill that person in a matter of seconds. He's a very handsome, tall man in he's 40's. He had white streaks in his hair that made him look a lot older.
"You're getting married to my competitor's son in a week," he said. "And I don't want to hear you cry about it; it's a done deal. They'll come in 2 days to talk about the wedding."
I got up from where I came was sitting on my bed and slowly got close to my father.
"Are you really selling me off?" I whispered. I couldn't even see my father anymore from all the tears collecting in my eyes. If one tear drops, that's it my father will start to... I don't even want to think about what he would do.
"I am not selling you off, you dumb girl. I am just making sure you are happy." He smiled wickedly, cupping my cheeks with his hands.
He wiped a tear that I didn't even notice fell. That's it he's going to...
I closed my eyes, scared of what he was going to do, but he didn't do anything.
I opened my eyes, and he was a good foot away from me.
"I am not going to hurt you because I don't want our guests asking about the blue marks; you got lucky. Now wipe off your tears and go downstairs and help your mother," my father said.
"Yes, father." I put my head down, not wanting to see him anymore. He left right after, leaving me in this cold, dark room alone.
I wiped my tears, fixed my makeup, and went downstairs.
Coming back from the memories, I was standing in the kitchen, helping my mom and Meg. I still don't understand why fathers making me and mom help Meg.
"Stella, sweetie, can you go to the store for some avocados? I need to make the sauce for the fries." Mom said not even looking back at me. My mother, Gabriella Montez, in her mid-30s. She's a long-legged woman who was an ex-model for Vogue in the 2010s. She met my father when she was at a photoshoot in an office, where my father came to have a business meeting. As my mother says, they fell in love immediately. He asked her out, and then they got married after six months of dating.
"Yeah, sure, mom," I said, half way out of the door. I needed to leave this place as fast and for as long as possible.
I drove my Dodge Challenger SRT to the farthest market in town. Father doesn't like when I come to this market specifically, because he says it's the poorest part of town. This market has the freshest vegetables and fruits.
"Hi, Carlos." I waved to the owner of the market. He waved back, "Hello, Stella. Long time, no see." I picked up a lemon and brought it closer to my nose to smell the fresh citrusy scent.
"Yeah, there's, um, a lot going on," I said, putting back the lemon.
"I need a couple of your freshest avocados, please," I told Carlos, putting my elbows on the counter. He grabbed a couple of avocados and put them in a bag for me.
"Have a good day, Stella. And remember that whatever is happening to you, you'll get through it in the end." Carlos said it with a wide smile.
The backs of my eyes burned with tears.
"Thank you, Carlos. You don't know how much that means to me." I grabbed the bag and quickly left so my tears wouldn't spill. I was almost out of the door when I bumped into someone.
"Oh, I am sorry. Are you okay?" the unfamiliar voice said. He's voice sounded so soft and sweet. I looked up to see a handsome guy with soft features, light brown eyes, a chiseled jaw, and golden skin. He was wearing a Raulph Lauren shirt with the top two buttons undone, dress pants, and black loafers.
He had worry in his eyes. "Are you hurt? Did I hurt you?" He held on to my arm.
"No, no. It's okey. I am fine,  really." I dusted invisible dust off my sundress.
He held out his hand. "Lorenzo, what about you?"
I gripped his hand in a handshake. "I am Stella." He held on to my hand and didn't let go. I felt a weird, tingly feeling in my hand.
"Nice to meet you, Stella." He smiled at me. "Nice to meet you too, Lorenzo." He let my hand go, but he held eye contact.
"I gotta go; I have, uh, places to be." I blurted it out and quickly walked to the exit.
"I hope to see you again, Stella." He shouted from the store when I was already at my car.
"You too!" I yelled back and got in my car. With my shaky hand, I somehow started my car and started to turn when I saw him standing where he was. He didn't even move an inch. He waved at me and smiled. I waved back and pushed my foot on the gas. I had to get away from this Lorenzo guy as fast as possible.
I stopped at a traffic light. I looked at the hand that shook Lorenzo's hand. "What was that?"