Chapter 5 ~ Stella

I followed his car to what looked like the private side of the beach. Only a few people can get access to that side.
We stopped at the parking lot and got out of our cars. I thought he might have brought me to a bench somewhere here, but as we got closer to the fence, he pulled out a black card, swiped at the keypad, and typed in a code. Opening the door, he gestured for me to pass.
Then I followed him to the shore of the beach. How did he know I loved this place? He stopped, but I continued to get closer until my feet touched the water. I closed my eyes and inhaled the salty air.
"You brought me to a beach," I said, stating the obvious. "What do you want, Lorenzo?" I yelled out over the sound of the waves.
"You" A simple word—one single word, three letters—made my heart flutter.
"Me?" I stuttered.
"You've been on my mind nonstop since the day we bumped into each other," he said, looking into my eyes as he got closer.
"I really want to get to know you better; if you want to get to know me too," he started stuttering, and it was really cute.
I couldn't hold my smile and started giggling.
"Yeah, sure. Let's get to know each other," I said with a smile.

We went back to our cars to get the food and laid it out on the blanket. A picnic on the beach—what a lovely place to get to know each other.
"How come you had a bottle of wine and two wine glasses in your car?" I was really interested.
"Just in case, for moments like this," he said with a smile that made me melt. He poured us a glass and grabbed a cupcake. It was my favorite one—a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles.
"I can't believe you've never tried a cupcake in your life," I said, picking one up.
"Well, my parents didn't allow us any sugar because we would get "too energetic" and we couldn't sleep," he explained, taking a bite while I waited for his reaction.
"Do you like it?" I waited patiently until he gulped it down.
He widened his eyes and started nodding.
"Wow, that's amazing!" He exclaimed.
"Yeah, I know. I baked them." I smiled to myself, taking a note to pat myself on the back later.
"Really? You'll have to make me more then, Cupcake," he laughed, and my heart melted at the nickname.
After a while of silence, I broke it.
"So, you said 'we', you have siblings?" I asked him.
"Yeah, I have a brother and a younger sister," he said, looking at the sunset. He had that face that people make when they start thinking about something.
"Is something wrong?" I got worried.
"No, not at all; it's just that I haven't seen my sister in a while. I really miss her." He was smiling, but I could tell he was sad.
"So, tell me more about yourself." I changed the subject to get him distracted.
We chatted for a bit before it got darker.
We started packing our things and got to our cars.
"Thank you for all of this," I gestured to my surroundings.
"Thank you for spending your evening with me; it means a lot." He smiled at me with that smile of his.
I was getting ready to leave when he gave me a card.
"This is my number; if you have time, call or text me; I am always available for you," he said.
I took it, pulled out a pen from my purse, and grabbed his hand.
"And this is my number that you can call or text whenever," I wrote in his palm.
"Thanks, Cupcake." Again, with the nickname. I turned and got into my car and started to back away.
I looked one last time before driving off. I need to get home as soon as possible, or it will be the death of me.