023, FRIENDS?

CRUEL SUMMER
23, FRIENDS?

renee.

" HEY REN! WAIT UP!" the voice calls after me, turning back from my front door — noticing Fletcher and that stupid smile on his face as he runs from Topper's car up the drive.

I force a small smile, because he's done nothing wrong. But my stomach turns at the whole night: seeing JJ under this light I never thought I would, the fact that I don't think we can ever go back to what we were. The fact I don't think I'll ever be a pogue again — not like I was, awkward silence will fill the air. I'll be cautious not to get too close to JJ and it'll hurt when I'm situations I have no choice, when we'll all squish onto the hammock and our hands will touch and then our eyes will meet and the fact we use to be each others everything will sit too heavy on our chests.

" hey," I say as we stand under the porch light of my front door. And he smiles bashfully and I hate myself that I can't do the same ( at least genuinely).

He looks at me " just wanted to walk you to the door, that's what people do after dates isn't it?" he says and I don't say anything to feed into it.

And he leans in, his lips only briefly meeting my cheek as I turn my head to avoid the kiss. A nervous laughter leaves his mouth when he pulls back and I turn to face him again.

" what, can I only kiss you when you want to make JJ jealous?" he hums and my brows furrow as I let out a small laugh at his utter ignorance.

" look Fletch, we kissed at the bonfire." I tell him, shrugging my shoulders " but I just broke up with my boyfriend, and I'm sorry if it felt like I lead you on-"

He nods his head " yeah, yeah it does feel like that Renee." he says, my full name is used as a weapon against me coming from someone who hasn't said it since the day I introduced myself to him years ago.

My eyes divert with the guilt that sits in my stomach, " I'm sorry fletch." I exhale, " it's just a lot has happened in the last few months and I don't want to make excuses-"

Cut off again by his spiteful mouth " it sure doesn't sound like it." He's hurt and I get it, I would be too.

" we can be friends." I say, it's a harsh blow as I hear him exhale heavily and I look back up to him but he's not looking at me anymore.

" friends?" he scoffs " we've never been friends Renee." he says again and I tilt my head.

" yeah I know, but we can try." I offer, as he nods his head — flickering his eyes back up to me with a small nod.

" yeah sure." his words blunt as I nod, reaching for the door handle of the house he knows he won't be invited back into.

" thank for tonight," I tell him and notice the way he's itching to leave " I'll see you at school?"

He lets out a small scoff as he just nods " yeah, I guess." And I offer a gentle smile.

Turning the handle as I open the door " night fletch."

And he just watches as I enter the house " later Renee." And I will admit it hurts but it's necessary. I'm sick of being caught in a love triangle I'm not even aware of.