03 ― torres. nathalie torres.

❝ is your old age causing you to lose your hearing or something? ❞

is your old age causing you to lose your hearing or something?

NATHALIE LEANED BACK IN HER CHAIR.

She had her arms folded across the chest and her feet propped up in the empty seat next to her. She stared up at the cafeteria ceiling as the school counselor gave a speech about bullying. Nathalie was trying to tune her out, but her voice still entered her ears, keeping her from truly being able to zone out.

Nathalie groaned as she adjusted her posture and looked at Flora. "I swear, she has got to be the most insufferable school counselor to ever exist."

Flora tried to stifle a laugh. "She's not that bad. I mean, yeah, she's annoying and kind of sucks at her job, but she's actually pretty nice."

Nathalie laughed. "Saying she sucks at her job is an understatement. That woman doesn't know the first thing about counseling. I know she had our best interest at heart, but my god, she's awful. And I think we have vastly different definitions of nice."

Aisha shrugged. "I don't know. I guess she can be kind of nice, but she's not exactly the best when it comes to helping with problems."

Natalie held her hand out, gesturing to Aisha, palm facing the ceiling. "I rest my case."

Flora shook her head and chuckled before taking a sip of her drink. She turned her head back around, facing Counselor Blatt as she spoke.

"Cyberbullying is no laughing matter. Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face."

Nathalie sighed. She knew firsthand just how hurtful it was to be cyberbullied. People from school loved to spread rumors about her and most of them started online. Nathalie tried to avoid social media as much as possible. She already heard the rumors and cruel remarks at school. The last thing she wanted was to have to read them online too.

"Now, I'm not gonna name names," Counselor Blatt continued, "but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

Nathalie's eyebrows furrowed together. She blinked her eyes in disbelief. "Did she just..."

Flora nodded her head. "She did. Everyone knows who she's talking about. They're staring."

Nathalie blew air through her nose, biting her tongue. She might have hated Eli with a burning passion, but she didn't tolerate bullying. She didn't care who it was, she was furious every single time.

"Careful there, Nattie," Flora leaned in, whispering in her ear. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you cared about him."

Natalie glared at her. "I don't care about him. I just can't stand it when people get bullied. You know that."