11 new beginnings

Ponyboy's POV:
Wednesday, June 12th
I was awakened by baby-child. I had decided that's what my nickname was gonna be for her. Her real name was Brenna Konley.

"Pony." She yawned at me, pushing her very, light blonde hair out of her eyes.

"Yes, baby-child?"

"I'm hungry."

"Well then let's go eat, but I need to wake up John John first." I then proceeded to ruffle his hair and kiss his head, lightly cooing in his ear.

"Is Johnny your husband?" She looked at me with complete seriousness.

I heard Johnny giggle and I scooped him up so he couldn't fall back asleep.

I blushed, "um, no. He's my boyfriend, which is... a few levels lower than that."

She nodded and then all of us got up and went to breakfast.

Everyone greeted us Goodmorning. Except for Steve, he was at his own house for once.

Momma made her a plate that she scooted over. "Do you mind if I sit here?" She said to Johnny.

"No." He was already eating and she then climbed up into his lap to eat as well.

"If your daddy is such a bad man, how are you so comfortable around all of us?" Soda said what we were all thinking.

"Because my teacher in Pre-K and Kindergarten his name was Mr. Cade, and he was so nice."

"He doesn't have any kids of his own does he?" You know how sometimes you can see the tears before they're really there at all?

"I asked him that one time too!" Her eyes lit up in excitement, "he said he has a little boy at his house, that runs away. He said he wishes he was sober enough to be there so he could stay, but his wife likes him better when he's drinking so now he can't stop." She shrugs it off, "my daddy's brought up the word sober too. He said it never works." She tells us.

A single tear comes down Johnny's face before he moves Baby-Child off his lap and makes a hasty walk to my room.

"Where are you going?" I ask him.

"Home."

"Johnny..." Momma sounds worried, "I don't want you to hurt yourself." She murmurs.

"I'll be fine. I always am." He's still crying,
"I don't know when I'll be back, but don't look for me okay?"

Darry's POV:
I finally made it to her house and greeted her little sister. Darcie was her name. And was cute as a button.

Her mom stood up to kiss me before giving me a hug, "Aw I missed you so much, baby. Darry you can bring your family over here for dinner anytime. I love having more people in the house."

"Of course, Mrs. Dickson." She's literally the best.

I sit Darcie back down before hugging Lorrie, "how are you feeling?" I'd be joking if I said I wasn't excited for this baby.

"I've been eating kinda weird, but other than that I'm alright." She smiles.

I look around, "are y'all ready to go?"

"Of course, but I need to take my car too." She whispers, "in case, Darcie tries too get grumpy and I need to come put her to sleep." Mrs. Dickson rolls her eyes.

We go in both our cars after I send her the directions.

Me and Lorrie have a small conversation on the way.

"Does your family know I'm pregnant?"

"Yeah."

"How'd they react?"

"Very confused because before yesterday I didn't tell a soul about you."

"Is it because I'm black? You think they won't like that, do you?" She looks very worried.

"No, it's because my brothers have had a lot going on with each other and their boyfriends. So I was just trying to be the easy one in the house. My mom's already still... quiet at times. She hasn't been herself in years, she uses everything as a distraction. I don't even know if she talks to anyone anymore. Like... has friends."

"What grown lady doesn't have a few girlfriends?"

"Widowed ones, with teenage kids, who live on a farm."

"You live on a farm?!"

Oh shit. I didn't tell her that.

I turn bright red, "yeah, I live on a farm. We've lived there forever. We've even renovated the house."

"Wow."

We sit in silence as she lets that sink in.

Eventually we all arrive at my house and she looks in even more shock as she looks around.

"Wow..."

It's around three pm now, so the sun is shining. It looks very dreamy out here.

We get out and all go inside.

Mom's in the kitchen and it smells like fresh brownies. I can tell they're homemade.

"Well, welcome in!"

Johnny's POV:
I had been home in silence all day now, but they're finally ready to talk. So here we go.

"Um... it was just fights over stupid stuff and then the alcohol became the only thing that would make it stop." Now my mom's in front of me crying.

"I've wanted to stop for a while now, but it's hard to stop when someone else is still doing it." My dad joined the conversation.

"Well, don't you think I wanna quit too, Kelvin?"

"I know you do. I just didn't know how to help us do that."

"Well then you two can figure it out together." I smile.

They glance at each other, very slowly though.

"He's already sixteen if we don't listen now we won't be around to even listen next time." As bad as my childhood was. Hearing my mom talk about not being around hurts so bad.

My dad nods in agreement. Then they both come and hug me. Do you know how long it's been since they've done that? It might have been never.

"I love you, okay? I promise."