23 chest compressions

Pony's POV:
July 26th, Friday (same night)
Momma rushed us home because Darry had worried her to point of fear. She said she got the same sense she did when Dad-

"I'll go to his room." I tell them. It's just, me, Soda, Steve, and Mom. Johnny went home with his dad.

"Darry!" I called. I barged in.

His bathroom door was closed. And now I understand the senses Mom feels. I felt sick.

I could hear water running.

"Darry, I'm gonna come in like it or not. Mom's scared as hell." I opened the door. Bad idea.

Water everywhere. Red water. Over flowing the bathtub. The bathtub with him in it.

I screamed as loud as I could.

I look his arms and drug him all the way to the hallway.

"No, no, no. Please." I could barely see. "Call 911! Call 911!"

His clothes were soaked and so was I now. Where is he even bleeding from? Then I saw it. Right under his neck.

"Get a towel! Maybe a wet one!"

I felt like I couldn't move, but I'm not stupid either.

I started doing chest compressions as hard as I could, but Darry's a big guy. Maybe not bigger than me anymore, but definitely still stronger.

"Where are the people?!" I shout.

"Pony, we live kinda far from a hospital. I don't know when-" Mom was in clear distress. She was running in no set pattern around the house.

Soda knelt down beside him with the towel to his neck, begging to God.
"Please, don't let him die. Not him too, please God, please." He sobbed.

Steve stayed giving updates in the phone.

Mom stood facing the other way, said she couldn't watch.

"Come on Darry, please. You wanna fight so hard for everything just fight for us for one more time. Please, Darry. Please." By now my body was giving out on me.

I blew in his mouth for the fourth time, his chest coming up with my air before going straight back down.

I stopped completely. I stopped and I got completely angry at him.

I slapped him straight across his face, "Darry Shane Curtis, this is the one time you've ever given up on anything and look at you! You stupid bitch!" I sobbed and was starting back up with the compressions harder now.

Up and down, with adrenaline. He was gonna live one minute or another.

And he chose now.

The water spilled from his mouth and his nose and his blue eyes blinked.

I yanked him up by his shirt and hit him again on his back while he coughed. Soda making sure the towel is there.

Mom came up and hugged all of us. She even waved Steve down as well. She laughed hard. Like Darry had just been born, and Baby-Child was tickling her right now.

The ambulance still came, and they still took Darry. We didn't follow, he never said it, but we can feel he didn't want us too.

I went and let the bath water out.

Me and Steve cleaned everything up.

Soda and Mom just kinda sat in the hallway. He was crying and murmuring I don't know what.

When we were done cleaning I went and laid right with them.

I don't wanna sleep alone tonight. I feel shaken, anxious.

"Let's go to bed." Momma suggest.

She read my mind.

I get up and go put on some pajamas before sliding into bed with her.

"Momma?"

"Hm?"

"How long was Darry hurting?"

"From the time Colby died, until he was thirteen, maybe longer. Apparently I don't know." She told me.
"Maybe he relapsed or something, but I know he had depression for at least two years."

I didn't say anything else I only pulled her closer.

"Momma, I'm scared."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want anyone else to die."

"Death comes when it wants, baby. We don't have time to sit and be scared of it like our taxes."

I take a breath just to steady my brain. I close my eyes and drift into sleep.

Baby-Child is laying right in front of me. Her tan skin and blue eyes laughing, lively. The flowers crowded around her are promising. We're in the field.

I smile at her, I'm happy to see her.

She smiles back, and taps my head.
"Tag." She shrugs and hops up, running.

I gasp and go after her. I catch her and pick her up.

She laughs at my touch. I look up, it's Soda.

"Daddy!" She reaches out and he takes her.

I roll my eyes, but my heart feels warm.

Steve comes up too, and the three of them make this little family. With Baby-Child right in the middle of her Daddies.

I feel Johnny's fingers slide in between mine and I look over to see his beauty.

"We need to find us a little baby one day."