𝗦𝗬𝗡𝗢𝗣𝗦𝗜𝗦

2 years before the first exodus ship launch.

"We deal with a lot of criminals here for the crimes they have committed but homicide? Marissa this action will have you floated." Councillor Marcus Kane informed the Carter girl with a disapproving expression. "It was self-defence, what was I supposed to do?" Marissa fired back as the handcuffs tightened around her ankles and wrists. "You shot your father numerous times, even after he was dead." Kane recalled her actions. "He was going to kill me Marcus." Marissa's tears threatened to spill.

"I'm sorry Mars, I wish I could've done something to save you but the Chancellor doesn't tolerate homicide no matter the circumstance." Kane sniffled, avoiding eye contact with the raven haired teenager. "It's time for you to go back to your cell." He whispered. Officer Bellamy Blake approached the two at the conference table, grabbing Marissa with a tight grip due to her resistance. "I'm sorry Mars." Kane muttered with a croaky voice. "Marcus please." She pleaded, hoping he'd look up at her, even if it was just once more. "Marcus look at me!" She cried as Officer Blake continued dragging her out of the room. "Marcus!" She managed to yell one last time before landing into cell 309.

Homicide was the worst crime which could be committed in the Chancellor's eyes, it had never been committed by someone young until 18 year old Marissa Carter had shot her father multiple times with his gun.

Ben Carter was an abuser, he had been violently hurting his wife, Evelyn Carter and his only daughter, Marissa Carter. Evelyn Carter was floated for a crime her husband had committed when Marissa was only 10, leaving her to fend for herself.

"It's time." Officer Blake had informed the Carter girl. Marissa nodded soundlessly, obliging to the rules, she had by that time accepted the fact she was gonna die, it relieved her infact, she would no longer have to fend for herself like she had done the past 8 years.

Chancellor Jaha, Abigail Griffin, Marcus Kane and other members of the council stood as Marissa was lead into the room, they all sent the girl a sympathetic look as she wandered in. "I'm sorry." Several mouthed to her as she deeply sighed, preparing herself. Even Bellamy sent her a sympathetic look before gripping onto the level which would be responsible for her death.

"Wait!" Callie Cartwig managed to sprint in. Everyone froze. "According to several sources, Marissa Carter was the anonymous person responsible for the fixation of oxygen levels last month." Callie panted. Many gasped in surprise whereas Marissa remained still. "Could you name these supposed sources Callie?" Abigail Griffin questioned her best friend. "Lenora Morgan was the first to report this, Alessia Fontaine joining on doing so shortly after." Cartwig informed the council. The chancellor thought for a moment before sighing. "Take Marissa back to her cell for now." Haha had ordered Bellamy who simply nodded in response.

In that moment, Marissa was grateful to many people. Callie Cartwig - her mother figure who had done everything to save her. Alessia and Lenora for stepping up and informing Callie of Marissa's actions but one question wandered in her mind - where was she to go now if not to be floated?

 Alessia and Lenora for stepping up and informing Callie of Marissa's actions but one question wandered in her mind - where was she to go now if not to be floated?

Present day.

It's been ninety-seven years since a nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on Earth, leaving the planet simmering in radiation. Fortunately, there were survivors. Twelve nations had operational space stations at the time of the bombs. There is now only the Ark, one station forged from the many. People of the Ark were told the Earth needs another hundred years to become survivable again. Four more space-locked generations, then man can go home, back to the ground. The ground, that's the dream. Living in a prison cell is reality.

"Prisoner 3-0-9, face the wall." One of the two officers commanded as they bust the steady door open.

Reality sucks.

"What the hell is this?" Marissa exclaimed. Rooms checks were random yet often occurred but never in such alarm. "Quiet. Hold out your right arm." The man ordered. "Which one would that be again?" Marissa joked. "No time for jokes Carter." He stated, grabbing the girl's right arm.

On The Ark, every crime, no matter how small, is punishable by death unless you're under eighteen - however Marissa was 19. She was only kept in a cell because of her oxygen fixation, it had saved the Ark on several occasions - if her mind wasn't so advanced, she would have been floated over a year ago for homicide.

"So where am I going now? The ground?" Marissa grinned at her remark. "Indeed you are Carter, won't be missing you." The officer replied. Marissa's grin faded almost immediately. "What? The ground still needs over 100 years to be survivable!" She exclaimed. "You can tell that to the Chancellor and the other 99 going with you." The officer tightened his grip on the resisting Carter girl.

As the Carter girl was dragged out of her cell in which she rotted in, just like every other prisoner had, she had spotted Abigail Griffin with her daughter Clarke Griffin. The two were hugging as Abby gave her daughter reassurance that it would all be okay. Absolute bullshit. The 100 who were to be sent to the ground were all doomed.