The Clockmakers Apprentice

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The village of Eldertide slumbered beneath a blanket of fog, the predawn light barely penetrating the mist. Only the steady ticking of the clock tower pierced the silence. Inside his workshop, Master Therin hunched over his workbench, squinting through a magnifying lens at the intricate gears and springs spread before him. His gnarled fingers moved with practiced precision, assembling the final pieces of his greatest creation.

Lysander burst through the door, out of breath. "Sorry I'm late, Master Therin! I overslept and-"

The old clockmaker held up a hand. "No matter. Come, I have something to show you." He beckoned Lysander over with a crooked finger.

Lysander peered over his master's shoulder at the strange device, a clock unlike any he'd seen before. Amid the familiar brass gears and ticking pendulum, a swirling vortex of indigo light pulsed at the clock's center. "What is it?"

A smile creased Therin's weathered face. "The culmination of a lifetime of work. A clock that can bend time itself."

Lysander's eyes widened. "You mean it can speed up or slow down time?"

"More than that. Each adjustment to the clock alters the fabric of reality, erasing moments from history or changing events in subtle but profound ways."

A chill ran down Lysander's spine. Meddling with time sounded perilous, the stuff of cautionary tales. And yet, the power enticed him, tugging at his curiosity.

Master Therin must have sensed his unease. He laid a comforting hand on Lysander's arm. "Fear not, my boy. The clock is a tool, neither good nor evil. It's how one wields it that matters. And I trust no one more than you to use it wisely."

Pride and apprehension warred in Lysander's chest as Master Therin taught him how to wind the clock, which gears controlled which spans of time. When the lesson ended, Therin retired to his chambers, leaving Lysander alone with the clock and a racing mind. He ran a finger along its gleaming surface, tracing the swirling patterns. The rational part of his brain urged caution, but a smaller, insistent voice whispered of the wrongs he could right, the mistakes he could erase...

Almost of its own accord, Lysander's hand closed around the key and gave it a single turn. The clock shuddered, its vortex flaring brighter. Lysander squeezed his eyes shut against the blinding light. When he opened them, the workshop had vanished. 

Chapter 2

Lysander stood ankle-deep in snow, a glacial wind whipping his hair across his face. Pine trees towered like skeletal sentinels in every direction, their branches creaking under the weight of fresh powder. He shivered violently, wrapping his arms around himself for warmth. When he'd turned the key, he hadn't had a particular time or place in mind. The clock seemed to have chosen for him.

Lysander wondered if he was still in Eldertide, but hundreds or even thousands of years in the past, before human settlers arrived. Or perhaps the clock had deposited him somewhere else entirely, a foreign land in a forgotten era. The only way to find out was to explore.