Chapter 48

I really don't want to let them go🥺😭
******

She nodded at Xavier, allowing him to run after her son.

The uncle nephew duo ran, giggling together. Their laughter echoing through the hospital's dreary corridors.

Did the walls feel morbid, like the sterile white colour painted on its surface? Are the doors as tired as they sounded? Did the seats weep with families as they were given horrific news in a monotone tone?

She took a seat, fear spreading throughout her being.

She wanted it all, but she was afraid of losing it all. Only this time it might be all at once.

Her mind drifted back to her conversation with Xavier.

"Our plan didn't work. They knew almost immediately."

"Who?"

"Lucius."

She looked at him confused.

"I've never heard that name."

"Lucius Dominic Sokolov. You killed him."

She simply nodded.

"So he was a bigger threat than I assumed."

"Yes, he bought a bounty on your head when he heard that you killed Romanov. He knew you were coming to him."

"So he tried to kill my son." She sighed, glad she had left Cihan with Xavier.

"When news circled that he had been killed, his son was out for your blood, Mikhail's head and Cihan."

"What does that mean?"

"He tried relentlessly to kidnap Cihan."

"Was he successful?" She was curious.

"Of course he wasn't. There were close calls, but I hope you know my loyalties lie with you and Mikhail. They forever will." Despite feeling upset that she was undermining his ability, he felt it was much more important to re-establish his loyalties.

"I know Xavier but I couldn't help doubt it when I couldn't find you." Sudden fatigue hit her as she had another thing to worry about.

"Don't worry yourself Alayna, I killed him and all those affiliated with him." He whispered as Cihan stirred.

"Thank you." She spoke breathless and in immense gratitude, her hand instinctively stroking her bump.

"How many months are you?"

She sat up straight, "Xavier, you know I would never cheat on Mikhail."

"I know. I was just asking, you look like you're far along."

"6th month. Right before I was arrested."

He threw his head back letting a hefty laugh out.

"It's definitely a firm fighter like it's mother."

Alayna laughed at how he was addressing her child.

"Mikhail is also a trooper you know."

"You're his strength. He would have never made to this age without you. Your love and his love for you was the only thing keeping him going. He would have killed himself years ago."

She looked at him, completely silent.

"So would I."

Mikhail was everything to her.