You Can't Bat Away Problems

Sayaka was looking forward to today- it was another mystery to solve, after all! But first, she had to focus on another mystery.

Her roommate.

She wasn't sure what to think of Fukawa so far. She knew her past with Togami... but she also wanted to believe in the girl. People could change after all!

Though, the girl hadn't shown many signs of that. Nor for anything for that matter. She barely spoke, and when she did it was only in short sentences.

Most of the time she was just writing in a journal or on her phone. It made it hard to talk to her, but that didn't mean that Sayaka wouldn't try. She was her, in the end. She always tried to talk to others and be nice of them.

That's how she got together with the gang. And now she would use that niceness with Fukawa.

"So, how've you been enjoying it here so far?" Sayaka asked with a tilt of her head. Both girls were sitting on their respective beds. Fukawa was writing in her journal.

The other girl didn't look up. "F-fine, I suppose..." She mumbled.

"Really? I'm glad you're not hating this then!" Sayaka responded with a smile. "I get that this is weird, it's the same for me."

"Mhm..."

"Honestly, I'm just happy the others are here!" She continued. "Like, even if there wasn't a mystery to solve, I would've still liked them to be here... I mean, spending a few days alone with Togami of all people. Sure, he's my friend, but still..."

Fukawa tensed slightly at the mention of Togami. That... wasn't good. She shouldn't have mentioned him...

"R-right..."

Sayaka gave her an apologetic smile. "Ah, sorry... I suppose you don't like me mentioning him considering your history..." She said.

Fukawa didn't respond, just looked away.

"Anyways," Sayaka continued, clearing her throat. "I'm pretty sure the others are waiting for us... At least, I hope they're ready!"

Fukawa nodded. "O-okay..." She mumbled, her head hung low. She walked to the door and left their room, not saying anything else.

Sayaka frowned slightly at that, but she quickly smiled again.

Fukawa was just... in a bad mood, that's all!

Sayaka was sure she could cheer the other girl up. That's what she always did. That's what she had to do.

But, just like Sayaka had predicted, the others were already waiting for them.

Togami looked at them with his usual annoyance. "Next time, don't dawdle. It would be impolite to be late."

Since when did he care about politeness? Well, Sayaka wasn't complaining. Besides, she was used to this by now.

"A girl needs time to wake up and get ready, Togami!" Sayaka responded with a playful smile.

Togami scoffed and rolled his eyes. He didn't say anything else.

They all started walking to the school after that little exchange. Leon immediately put his arm around Sayaka's shoulder and gave her a kiss on her cheek. Sayaka could just feel the disgust radiating from Togami.

"Did you sleep well?" Leon asked as they walked. A small grin was present on his face.

Sayaka nodded. "Mhm! And we need it too, today's gonna be an important day after all!"