The boy who loved once

And so he cradles her fragile body on the ground, rocking back and forth slowly, in the place that started it all. The Black Lake reflected the thousands of stars dancing in the vast sky above him with the moon looking down in pity, but despite its beauty, all he could see was the dying body of the girl he so dearly loved.

"Please...don't leave me, you can't do this, not now, not ever, please."

He spoke softly to her, voice trembling and heart shattering as her every breath became shorter and shorter. He could've saved her, he could've been there, but now here she was, laying in his arms facing the wrath of death because of him.

"Hey, I want you to do this for me before I have to leave you, okay love? Promise me you'll do this."

She says weakly as she feels her soul becoming one with the wind, and body succumbing to the cold air that came with it.

"Anything."

He responds, lifting up one of his arms to hold her cheek and ignoring the blood falling down her head onto his clean hands. She smiles at this and leans into it, then opening her mouth to speak,

"Firstly, I want you to continue being the person I fell in love with, not the cold and unemotional person I met, but the caring and kind man I have grown to love every passing day since then."

To this he smiles, nodding his head so slowly and carefully as if any sudden move would cause her to disappear forever.

"Secondly, I want you to fall in love, I don't want you to miss out on what life has to offer because of me. One day, you will find someone even better than me, and you must hold on to her and love her with everything you have. Okay?"

He shakes his head, whimpering and still clinging onto the little hope he had. So he speaks,

"No, I can't ever bring myself to love someone as much as I love you, you and you alone are the keeper of the key to my heart, my only love, my Mary Elizabeth Emmons." 

(hehehe iykyk.. Nvm I'll tell you, its Gilbert Blythes letter to Anne Shirley-Cuthbert in Anne with an e)

Now, she smiles at his soft words, they light her soul and overflow her heart with love. But it is this love Mary feels, that makes her long to set him free, free of the past burdening him, and free of the memory of her. So she continues,

"I love you, more than the moon loves the stars and more than the planets love the Sun. You are the object of my heart's truest desire, and it will remain that way until my last breath. So, this is why I must let you go, and you me. As I love you, you must pay it forward, and leave me in the wind of your past."

His tears fall harder, the reality pushing through his walls of hope with every word. Until finally, he nods, lips trembling and heart shattering as the silence of night lingers. With every ounce of strength she has left, her hand raises to his face, his eyes glistening in the moonlight which fills her own heart with tragedy.

"I love you, Tom Marvolo Riddle, and I will do so even after death parts us."

And with this, she exhales, her breath finally answering the restless call of fate. Mary's arm falls to her side, and her face lets a tear fall before finally resting, forever. In panic, he picks her arm up once more and holds it back to his face, hope and longing still streaming through his veins.

"Hey, wake up...please."

Tom whispers, not wanting to face reality just yet.

"My love, you're alright, you're alright, just open your eyes for me, that's all you need to do, please, please, please."

He says a bit louder, desperation laced with his words. But still she remains unmoved and unchanged, like words set in stone.

"Wake up! Mary, wake up! PLEASE Mary! Please, don't leave me here! Isn't my love enough for you to stay?"

He begged her and the sky above, more tears threatening to fall, and he let them, not caring about anything but his only purpose lying in front of him, dead.

He cries, burying his teary eyes in her cold neck and hiding away from the face it carried. His heart was poured out through his screams of heartache and misery, his newly found light leaving with every sound from his lips.

Two different souls intertwined in such a way that one could never survive without the other. Yet that was what life intended, as only tragedy and longing was destined for both of them.

And so the gods mourned with him, empathy seeping through each of them as they looked down on the boy who loved once.