Chapter 5

Malcolm and Chris were placed in a holding cell with Nathan in an adjacent cell. Nathan was scheduled for transfer to another facility, but not until his brother was located. Ethan's father expressed a preference for both Nathan and his brother to remain incarcerated in a juvenile detention facility due to the severity of their crimes. Despite his circumstances, Nathan maintained a dominant and intimidating demeanor that Chris could sense even from across the jail cells. It appeared that Nathan was patiently anticipating something, as evidenced by the expression on his face. Malcolm discreetly informed Chris that, prior to their arrest, Ethan had managed to pickpocket one of the officers during the commotion and subsequently provided Nathan with the key to unlock their handcuffs. It is possible that Nathan is currently formulating a plan for their escape. Chris was at a loss for words. Despite their current predicament, these officers were simply carrying out their professional duties. He did not want them to come to any harm, especially considering Nathan's known capabilities.

Chris' apprehensions materialized when Nathan successfully provoked an officer, gaining access to his cell. Unbeknownst to the officer, Nathan had already liberated himself, overpowered him, and acquired his cell keys. Nathan proceeded to release the other prisoners from their cells, but their restraints remained intact. Malcolm inquired about Nathan's intentions, but instead of providing an explanation, Nathan chose to demonstrate his plan in action. He exchanged clothing with the unconscious officer and led them to a police transport vehicle. Despite his reservations, Chris recognized the urgency of the situation and the need for swift action. When the police department became aware of the circumstances, Nathan had already secured a police transport vehicle and released Malcolm to serve as their escape driver. Chris was in the back with his adversary, Nathan, his hands restrained, making him vulnerable. Noticing the cautious expression in Chris' eyes, Nathan chuckled, acknowledging his apprehension of Chris' brother Raymond's reaction if he discovered that Nathan had engaged in a fight with him in his current state. Nathan reassured Chris that he had no intention of attacking him, emphasizing that such an act would be beneath him.

Malcolm advised that they needed to change vehicles immediately, as it was not prudent to continue using a stolen police vehicle. They proceeded to a multi-level parking garage, where they acquired another vehicle before planning their next course of action. Malcolm and Nathan decided to regroup with Alex and Owen, leaving Chris as the sole advocate for locating Ethan. The partnership between Ethan and the others was purely financial, as Malcolm pointed out. Malcolm's loyalty and alliance were with Alex, and Nathan shared similar sentiments regarding Ethan in comparison to Owen. While it was beneficial to have Ethan as a partner, neither Malcolm nor Nathan were particularly concerned about the financial aspect of the partnership. During the journey, Chris had ample time for contemplation. He maintained a composed demeanor, relieved from his previous constraints, as he anticipated the imminent meeting with Alex and Owen. Nathan strategically positioned himself in the backseat to minimize the risk of detection as they proceeded towards the last known location of their associates.