Chapter 7

November 2

1:00 a.m.

Ryder, Marshall, Chase, Tracker, Rex, Shade, Leo, Rory, Wild, Al

  "Split yourselves into groups," Ryder continued. "I'll go with the group that goes down the trapdoor. For all we know, there could be massive danger".

  Chase immediately took the lead.

  "Okay, the group going with Ryder down the trapdoor will be Marshall, Wild, Shade, and myself. Tracker, Rex, Leo, Rory, and Al, you all will search for the others".

  Everyone nodded.

  "Alright, let's get moving".

Ryder, Chase, Marshall, Wild, Shade

  Ryder insisted on taking the lead down into the trapdoor. Chase protested, but finally let him.

  They all carefully descended the ladder into pitch blackness.

  "It's super dark in here," Marshall whispered.

  "No kidding," Chase replied. "Does anyone have a flashlight"?

  "I have the flashlight on my PupPad," Ryder said. He turned it on and shine it around.

  "Hm. Nothing interesting," he mused. "It's just a long tunnel".

  "All in favor of moving forward, say 'I'," Wild cut in.

  "Are you stupid?" Shade said. "We don't know what's down there! There could be killers waiting for us"!

  "Well, the whole reason we came down here was to explore".

  "That we did," Ryder said. "I say we go forward".

  The rest agreed and they began down the tunnel.

Skye, Rocky, Ella

  Skye quickly made her decision.

  "Come on. This way," she whispered. She ran down the right hallway, away from the breeze.

  The sound of their pursuer didn't stop. They were still following them!

  Skye looked for something to throw off the pursuer, but all she saw was empty walls. So they kept running.

  After what felt like eternity, Skye's legs burned and she was having trouble keeping her breathing quiet. They had to stop and rest. But where? There was nothing.

  Suddenly, a paw covered her mouth and she was yanked aside behind an object.

  "Don't worry. It's just Rocky".

  Skye breathed a sigh of relief. Rocky uncovered her mouth and they listened. The pursuer's footfalls slowed and stopped not far from them.

  Skye dared not to breath.

  The figure looked around, them approached their hiding spot.

  The three watched as they stopped right beside them and looked around.

  Suddenly, the pursuer leapt at them. Skye, Rocky, and Ella scrambled away and began running again, the pursuer much closer than they had ever been.

  Claws grabbed Skye's hind leg and ripped into the flesh. She yelped, but adrenaline kept her running as she picked up speed.

  They weren't going to outrun whoever was behind them this time. Skye felt it in her blood. They'd have to be tricky and lose them.

  Yet another fork became apparent up ahead, but this time, there were three paths.