23 - Hayley

I've lost track of how much time's passed since I got here.

As I train with Lilith and Drecca, I am brought to the edge of my sanity and strength. I'm tired, and each night, I collapse into the bed they've given me. I learn how to fight, how to use my cane in battles, and how to use my wings, too. They've also taught me how to fly better, as Aldrea was the one who flew me out of that well.

But as I start toward the kitchen, my legs throbbing from trying to strengthen them, I smell the foods cooking. Lilith's standing in the kitchen, her back to me. But somehow, she knows I am here.

"Hello, Hayley," she says.

"Good morning," I say. I sit down and perch my cane on the edge of the table. She hums as she spins around and brings me a plate piled high of eggs and bacon and some buttery toast. My stomach growls.

"Do you like this?" Lilith asks as she watches me begin to eat.

I look up at her. "These are like, my favorite foods."

She chuckles and her wings twitch. She scratches her cheek and smiles at me.  "I am glad."

Drecca materializes in the room, a big, black and red cloak hanging off his strong shoulders. He sweeps past me, scoops up some of the food, and sits down at the kitchen island across from the oven and stove. Lilith scowls at him.

"You could be a bit nicer to her, Prince Drecca."

He literally growls at her. She scoffs.

"You should know by now, Lilith, I'm not into making friends."

"That is bullshit, Drecca," she snaps. "I am sure you know by now your tells, Prince. And your tells are very much so letting me know that you indeed have feelings for this girl. She has been here two months, in our dimension's time. You like her."

Drecca glares at her.  "Are you serious, Lilith?"

"What? It's not like it's a secret," she says.

"Yeah, not anymore," he growls.

She shakes her head. "He is trying to be your friend, Hayley. He's just not good at showing it."

"Oh," I say.

"So," Lilith says, clapping her hands together.  "What lessons will we give her today, Prince Drecca?"

He sighs and wipes his mouth. "I'd like to see how she fights a Mimik now."

"What? You do realize how bad they are?"

He narrows his black eyes on her. "Yes."

She shakes her head.  "Well, I think it would be nice if we went with her, at least. We don't want her getting hurt."

Drecca looks at me. "Well, of course. We don't want her being swallowed by one of them, either."

"That really helps my nerves, thanks," I say sarcastically.

Drecca rolls his eyes.  "Well, let's get going, you two. We have a long way to go to find the Mimik's home."

"I thought the portal would take us there," I say.

"It does, but it is they're good at hiding. So we must search as well."

"Okay then. Let's go, I guess."