13 disappearances

Johnny's POV:
Friday, June 14th
I had stayed the night with Pony, Brenna wanted me to.

Momma Curtis told us last night that child services was coming sometime this morning just to make sure everything was safe and that she was okay.

Me and Pony left her in his huge bed since she was still asleep.

We went in the kitchen to eat breakfast, surprisingly Steve was at his house again! The morning was going smoothly.

Then Momma Curtis got up to answer the phone. It was probably the child service people.

"Hello?"
"Mh, yes he's here." A smile and a glance at me.
"Oh wow, um." Almost instant tears.
"I'm extremely sorry to hear that."
"Let me know if you need anything okay?"
"Does he need to come home?"
"Okay, bye. I'm sorry."

"Um, you should go check on your father." Was all she told me.

"What happened?"

A long, long, long silence.

"Um, when your dad woke up this morning. Your mother had passed away. He said she took sleeping pills last night to try to help herself get more rest. He thinks it was an overdose... I'm very sorry, darling."

I think I sat there for a moment. Feeling like my skin has flipped inside out. I didn't even react to the fact that I was crying.

Then I got up from the table and went to Pony's room and got dressed in more of his small clothes.

"What are you-"

"Ponyboy, if you never see me again just know I've got my mind on you." I tell him.

"Why wouldn't you see me again?" He looks very upset by this.

"Because every time things start to get good for me, everything falls right back down. I don't wanna do that to you; I love you. But I have a lot of shit to figure out, and I don't think you deserve to have to do that."

"Are you still my boyfriend?" And now here he goes full blown tears.

I close my eyes and sigh, "as long as you can remember me."

"I won't forget you."

Pony's POV:
This happened and now I might not ever see him again? What if I fucking love him too?

He smiles a little at what I said, I get up and I hug him and then I kiss him. I don't care that my whole family is watching.

"Bye." When he lets go of me he smiles and waves at my family. And walks straight out the door.

I stand there and then I lay on the floor and I cry. My appetite walking away with him.

"He'll come back, Pone." Darry assures.

"He just said he wouldn't."

"No, he didn't. He just found out his mom died, he's gonna come back." Soda joins him.

Momma stays quiet. That's how I know he's never coming back.

"And he loves me. What the fuck did we just do?"

Steve's POV:
1 week later, Friday, June 21st
Pony's been quiet as fuck. It's almost scary. Soda told me what happened and the whole thing is just very unfortunate to me.

I hate what happened to his mom. I can only imagine what his mental state is like, but watching Pony walk to the flowers and lay by himself. Not even asking Bre-Bre if she wants to go is truly worrying.

He looks out at it like only he can see Johnny. Then he walks to where they used to be together and he lays. Sometimes sleeps. In the field of flowers, and I've watched him cry over the bees. And sob in my arms. Which usually I would be like "gross this sticky little kid!", but my God he really looks sad.