The American Dream

ELIJAH'S POV:

When I walked in, Lip and Fiona were in a middle of an argument.

"What are you two arguing about, this time?" I asked.

"Fiona spent the money that we had saved for the property tax and spent it on a fucking club promotion," Lip answered.

"And how are you going to pay the tax man, if things don't work out?" I asked.

"And now you're doubting me, too," Fiona says, angrily.

"Blindly giving money that you have to pay for bills and paying for something that you have no experience is kind of risky from your end, isn't it?" I asked.

"See? Even he agrees," Lip said.

"Don't put words in my mouth, dumbass," I told my brother.

"I have experience in the club business," Fiona said.

"As a server, not as a manager or as a promoter of a night club. Like I asked, how are you going to pay for the property tax if things don't go well tomorrow night?" I asked.

"It's going to work out, it's my time to invest in myself. I can't have anybody holding me back. And if they don't go to plan, which I know it will go as planned, we'll have to figure it out, as we always did," Fiona said.

"Fiona, I'm not saying don't invest in yourself, but you didn't have to give up all the money that you are using for bills, especially when we lost money due to Frank and Monica screwing us over, with their bullshit. And Lip, you don't have to be a jackass when Fiona wants to do something for herself," I tell them.

Soon enough, it was only me and Fiona in the house.

"Why can't you support me in this?" Fiona asked, as we both sat down on the kitchen table.

"When did I say that I didn't support you?" I asked and she stayed quiet.

"I want you to spread your wings and do something that genuinely makes you happy and do something productive with your life. But the one thing I ask of you is that you think very carefully about what you are doing and think about how it can affect others, before actually doing something," I said.

———————

Later on that night, Guadalupe and I went with Fiona and Veronica to the club.

"Why are we here, again?" I asked.

"We're checking out the club and hopefully get the promoter's email list," Fiona answered.

"Just let me know when you're ready to go. I'll drive you all home," I tell them, before we all went out separate ways, for the time being.

"So, she's seriously doing this tomorrow night?" Guadalupe asked.

"Yeah, she is," I answered.

"With what money?" Guadalupe asked.

"The money that she had saved up for the property tax," I answered.

"How do you think it's going to turn out for her, tomorrow night?" Guadalupe asked.

"I hope it turns out to be great for her," I answered.

"But...." Guadalupe said.

"I feel like she got herself into something that she can't handle, but I'm just going to step aside and support her," I explained.

Soon enough, Veronica and Fiona came and we all left the club.

———————-

We slept at my sister's house, for the night. Thankfully, our son is with Guadalupe's family, who were overjoyed to babysit. We were having breakfast, when Frank and a couple of random people came in, behind him. We tried to prevent them from going up the stairs, but they ran upstairs and went straight into Debbie's room. The next thing we know, Frank destroyed Debbie's project. Due to this, Debbie started hitting him and we all threw him out.

——————

When we were leaving, Lip came out.

"What's up with you?" I asked.

"Mandy's trying to get me to apply for college," Lip answered.

"Must be hard having someone care for you," I say, sarcastically.

"I don't know why everyone wants me to go to college," Lip muttered.

"Do you know how many people leave the South Side? How many people have the opportunity to go to college?" I asked and he looked down. Find
,
"I got lucky when I met Guadalupe. I'm getting married and I have a kid. But here's the thing, Fiona and I had to drop out of school just to take care of you all. Especially Fiona, when I went overseas. You are a smart kid and you have nothing holding you back. You don't have to be stuck here," I said.

—————————-

Later on that night, Fiona called.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Kevin's wife showed up," Fiona said.

This is going to be a disaster.