Chapter Seven

It was Saturday. Saturday meant cleaning day for Ashlyn and her mom, Alisha. Today, Alisha had left for work because there was a really important meeting she had to attend. First, they cleaned their room before they come down. Ashlyn was packing some books into a small shelf in her room when Alyssa entered.

"Hey, you done cleaning?" Alyssa asked.

"No, aunty! I was just packing these books. Can I....do something for you?"

"Just wanted to hang out with my beautiful niece. I just wanted to come help you with the cleaning!"

"Aww, thank you, aunty. You're the best." Ashlyn hugged Alyssa.

Soon, it started. As the both worked on rearranging the bedroom, Alyssa stumbled upon something; a dusty old box tucked away in a corner. Curious, she opened it to find what was in it. It was pictures and some old toys.

Alyssa sifted through the box and found pictures of birthday parties, family vacations, special events.

"I've been looking for that." Ashlyn took the box from Alyssa.

"You still have these?" Alyssa asked.

"I could never throw these away. These are the only memories left for me about Papa and Adelle." She smiled as she reminisced, feeling grateful for the happy times they had shared.

Among the items, Ashlyn found a photograph of her father, whom she had always admired and missed dearly.

"You miss him, right?"

"Yes, aunty. I've always wanted to him by our side, for our family to be complete. Why did things have to get this far?"

"Come here!" Ashlyn and Alyssa sat on Ashlyn's bed. "Sometimes....life....does something we don't want... but....we can't do anything about it. We just have to accept it and move on."

"But why? To the extent of me losing my only sister and father?"

"Come here!" Alyssa nestled Ashlyn's head on her chest and ran her hands through her hair.

"Aunty?"

"Hm!"

"Please don't tell Mama about it. I don't want her to freak or get angry."

"Don't worry. She won't hear about this. Keep it safe, okay?"

"Okay. Love you, aunty."

"Love you too, baby."

San Francisco,
Aiden wasn't feeling quite well. He had stayed in his room that morning. Adelle had gotten ready to head to work. Not knowing why her father skipped breakfast earlier, she decided to go check on him.

Adelle entered the room and found him still in bed. "Dad, what happened?"

Aiden smiled weakly. "I'm okay. I just wanted to rest."

"Dad, you are not feeling well. Should I call a doctor?"

"No! No, don't worry."

"Wait here, I'll be right back." Adelle left the room and came back with a glass of water. "Here, drink some."

Helping Aiden up, he gulped down the glass of water.

As Adelle sat with her dad, Aiden, he expressed his gratitude for her care and concern. They reminisced about find memories they shared together, which brought a smile to Aiden's face, despite his illness.

"Thank you, honey! I really appreciate you taking care of me." Aiden said.

"Of course, Daddy. You've always been there for me. It's the least I can do."

"You're such a thoughtful and caring daughter. I'm so lucky to have you."

"Aww, thanks Daddy. You mean the world to me."

"I'm sorry you had to stay home because of this. I've ruined your work today."

"Daddy? There's always time for work. You're my only person left and I can't risk leaving you here for work."

"My daughter has grown into a wonderful woman."

"Stop that, Daddy." They exchanged smiles. "Wait here, let me go make some green tea for you. Today, I'm staying with you in this room. Tell me, if you need anything else." Adelle smiled and left the room.

Brandon and Wilma sat down together with a stack of bridal magazines and a notebook. They started discussing potential venues, flipping through pages filled with picturesque gardens, elegant ballrooms, and charming barns.

After much deliberation, they narrowed down their options to a few top contenders and decided to schedule visits to their potential venues. They made a list of questions to ask during the tour, focusing on details like availability, capacity and amenities.

Next, they brainstormed ideas for their wedding theme and color scheme, drawing inspiration from their shared interests and personal style. Brandon suggested a rustic-chic theme while Wilma leaned towards a romantic garden vibe.

They decided to combine elements of both themes, blending rustic charms with lush florals and elegant touches.

As they discussed their vision for the day, Brandon and Wilma jotted down ideas for décor, attire and entertainment. They made a list of must-have elements, like live band, photo booth and a mouthwatering menu that would delight the guests.

They also talked about incorporating personal touches into their wedding, like handwritten vows, custom wedding favors and a signature cocktail inspired by their favorite drink.

After several hours of planning and brainstorming, Brandon and Wilma felt excited and energized about the possibilities for their wedding day. They knew there was still much to do, but they were confident that with teamwork and creativity, they would create a celebration that reflected their love and commitment to each other.