Part 4

Aspect paced around her room when she heard a light knock on her door. "Yes?," she yelled.

A dark-haired elf stepped inside. "King Thranduil would like to see you, Lady Aspect," he said, bowing low.

"Thank you," Aspect replied, giving the elf a smile before he left.

Aspect started walking the great halls of Mirkwood, the same she had ran and played in many, many years ago.

Thranduil smiled when he saw Aspect approaching his throne. "It is great to see you up at your feet again, Aspect," he said. "And not at least walking my halls."

"It is good to be back," Aspect lied, bowing in front of Thranduil.

"No need to bow, Aspect," Thranduil said, stepping down from his throne. "I wanted to talk to you, for one special reason." He started talking when he had come down the stairs and stood in front of Aspect, still many heads taller than her. "You may remember the first time you visited us with your dad. You was only a young girl, playful, lovely and full of life."

Aspect nodded. "I do," she answered.

"Me and your dad made a deal that day. My people protect your people, your people protect my people. Big words, big promises," Thranduil continued. "And I am still sorry to this day that we could not keep them when they meant the most. I am still sorry that my people was not there to protect your family in need, that day for many, many years ago. But I promise you I will do anything for you, my dear kith." Thranduil smiled proudly leaning down and striking Aspect's cheek slightly and careful. "No matter what it takes. You have grown up to be such a beautiful woman. Radagast and Beorn have done a great job." He looked thoughtful and proud at her.

"They have," Aspect said with a clump in her stomach. In some ways she knew where this was leading, but some parts of her didn't want it and could not believe it. And it was all true. Aspect had been so happy when she finally got to come to Mirkwood with her dad. She was just a tiny little pup, but she had the energy of thousand big wolves - and couldn't stand still. She then pursued to run away and get lost in the great hall while her father was busy talking to Thranduil. That was where she had first met Legolas, who was just a young boy. From that they and on, their friendship grew stronger and stronger.

"Another part of the deal, was that if any of our kids had reached the age of marrying, without being married, we would help each other out, in any other way. And I know that you and Legolas have had an eye for each other many times before, and for a good while you called yourself Princess of Mirkwood. I would like you to stay here, evolve, and become even more beautiful, smart and strong. Build a home here with my son. I just want the best for both of you," Thranduil said, looking hopeful but strict at Aspect. He sounded soft, but Aspect knew he meant it, and that this wasn't actually her choice to make.

"I... I do not know what to say," Aspect said, shocked. "I have never heard of this deal, ever. And I do not think I am in the age of marrying yet. I do not feel like it."

"I do not want to stress it, Aspect, but please stay here. Learn the arts of my people, and then in the future we will see what happens," Thranduil said, returning to his throne, but stopped before the stairs. "You could have anyone you want, with your beauty, white hair and green, stunning eyes, but by being here you know you will be treated well." He started stepping up the stairs, slow and graceful.

"I just do not know if I am ready yet, I am still just a young wolf, I-," Aspect said before Thranduil broke her off. He then turned and walked fast up to Aspect again.

"Aspect, you are in my custody now. We saved you from the forest, once again. This is my kingdom, my rules," he said with a strict and irritated voice, before he leaned down in front of her, making their eyes meet close. As said; Aspect knew she didn't have a voice in any of this. She knew Thranduil took this talk with her, only to be 'kind', but especially to show who had the higher grounds and was the boss. "If you want to be treated as good as Legolas and the others, you better listen to me. You stay here, learn from the ancient ones and become a good wife - that is what your life is based on. No more running around. It is time to grow up." The anger in Thranduil's eyes were glowing, and he almost yelled out the last two words. Aspect wasn't quiet for long before she spoke back.

"I am not a small girl anymore! You cannot tell me what to do!," Aspect yelled back, as her wolf-ears appeared. "I was hoping that when I came here, I would be treated with respect, but I understand that you have not changed a bit! I am done with you - I was going to give you one more chance, but you are still talking about the same old stuff, putting everything og my shoulders! I do not want to stay here my whole life, just being pretty. I want to see the world, Thranduil! And that is what I am going to do." Aspect turned before she started running.

"Aspect, wait!," Thranduil yelled in despair, realizing what he had done. "Do not make her leave this place!"

Aspect ran as fast as she could towards the gate, but she had no chance against the guards. They grabbed her arms, lifting her up from the ground. Aspect fought against the guards tight grip and made any resistance possible, but they still managed to bring her back to Thranduil's throne.

Thranduil sat on his throne, pressing his nasal bridge with his thumb and forefinger, looking defeated. "Aspect," he said when she was put in front of him, down at the floor. "I am sorry. I did not mean it that way. You suddenly showed up out of the blue, making me extremely happy, but also angry. I made a promise to your dad. It is like cursing upon his grave not fulfilling it. Please, stay here. You can do whatever you want whenever you want, and I will not stop you, as long as you are here with my son." Aspect looked at him. She really studied him. She saw the repetance in his eyes. She saw, for the first time in forever, his emotions showing. He really meant what he said.

Aspect was quiet for a long time. She didn't know what to say, and tried to calm herself down. "I just do not get it," she started. Her eyes was empty. "I just do not get how every time we meet, you throw this on me like I asked for it. I never asked to marry Legolas. I actually never asked for any of this." Tears started to stream down her face. "Things change, people change. That is just how it is, and you will need to realize it. Give it time. Give me time." Aspect turned away, and started walking from Thranduil who sat speechless on his throne.

"Let her go, but not through the gate," Thranduil said empty.

Aspect walked through the long halls of Mirkwood, still with tears streaming down her face. When she almost reached her room, she met Legolas in the hall. "Are you okay?," Legolas asked Aspect, grabbing her shoulders lightly when she tried to turn away. "Aspect please look at me." Legolas was calm. "What is wrong?"

Aspect was quiet for a little. "I just..," she started, trying to meet Legolas' eyes, but failed the first time. "I just talked with your dad. It is nothing to worry about." Their eyes met. They both got quiet, and just stood there, looking at each other.

"But then why are you crying? There must be something wrong," Legolas said carefully, drying one of her tears.

"Yes, it is, and it is none of your business," Aspect said, slipping past Legolas before she ran to her room and closed the door behind her. Legolas was too slow, and at the same time she locked the door, he came up to it, grabbing the doorknob.

"Please, Aspect. Talk to me!," Legolas yelled.

"Just go away, Legolas! It is none of your business," Aspect answered, trying to keep her voice from cracking. Legolas slid down to the floor down with his back against the door. He started humming quietly on a small melody, that Aspect's mother had been singing to her as a child.

Aspect threw herself into the nicely made bed, and buried her head into one of the pillows, before she let all of her tears go.