Part 22

The Company had all gone to bed, sleeping peacefully - everyone except Aspect. She had her wolf-ears out, listening to everyone's deep breath. Fili lay besides Aspect, facing her, with one arm over her stomach. Suddenly, Aspect heard a slight movement, different from the dwarves rolling over to another side. This one was really, really quiet, quiet enough to not wake up a dragon.

Aspect lifted her head slightly, enough to see what was going on. In the middle of the floor, she saw Bilbo, sneaking his way towards the stairs up to the balcony, and she knew what he was doing. She didn't say anything, though she was sure Bilbo had noticed her, but just slid away from Fili.

"Aspect," Fili whispered, half asleep, barely looking at her.

"It is just the wolf calling," Aspect whispered calm. "I will be back in the morning." She kissed his forehead. Fili gave her a little smile before he drifted back to sleep.

Aspect tiptoed after Bilbo. He must have heard her, because he waited on the top of the stairs.

"I guess you are going to the same place as me," Bilbo said with melancholy. Aspect nodded. "Then we go."

Aspect helped Bilbo down the rope on the side of the balcony, before they started on their path to Dale.

"Are you going to take the lead in Dale?," Bilbo asked after a long moment of silence.

"I do not know, yet. I have a lot to discuss with many people first," she said, looking down at Bilbo. "What is your plan, dear hobbit?"

Bilbo hesitated before he stopped. "I found this a few days ago," Bilbo said, pulling forward a cloth. He packed it up, and in front of them shone the bright light of the Arkenstone.

Aspect gasped. "Oh Bilbo," she whispered, before covering the stone with the cloth again. "This could get you killed, you know that?" Bilbo nodded.

"This was a stupid idea, right? Maybe I should just return now before it is too late," Bilbo said, doubtful.

"No, no Bilbo," Aspect said strictly. "If you think this is the right thing to do, then you do it. Come on, we need to move."

Aspect sniffed up in the air. "This way," she whispered under her hood to Bilbo. She didn't want to be recognized by the elves or the people in Dale, and tried to hide as best as she could. Aspect and Bilbo lurked in the shadows.

"Gandalf!," Bilbo suddenly said, running towards a big, lit up tent in front of them.

"You, bowman! Do you agree with this? Is gold so important to you? Would you buy it with the blood of Dwarves?," Aspect heard Gandalf ask frustrated. Gandalf and Bard appeared in her sight.

"It will not come to that. This is a fight they cannot win," Bard answered.

Bilbo stepped up to them. "That won't stop them. You think the Dwarves will surrender? They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own," he said.

"Bilbo Baggins!," Gandalf said surprised. "Come with me." Gandalf led him into the tent. Aspect snuck closer, but still hiding in the shadows. Inside the tent, she saw Thranduil. She used her wolf-ears the best as she could to hear what they were saying.

Thranduil looked down at Bilbo, before he turned around and walked to his chair. "If I'm not mistaken, this is the Halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards," he said highly whilst sitting down.

"Yiesh," Bilbo answered. "Sorry about that." Bard smirked. "I came to give you this." He pulled forward the cloth, put it on the table in front of Thranduil, and revealed the Arkenstone for them.

Thranduil stood up and stepped closer. "The Heart of the Mountain. The King's jewel," he gasped. The three men looked shocked at the glowing stone in front of them.

"And worth a king's ransom," Bard said, also stepping closer. He looked at Bilbo. "How is this yours to give?"

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure," Bilbo said, without hesitation. Gandalf looked proudly at him.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty," Bard asked confused.

"I'm not doing it for you," Bilbo said, shaking his head, making a grimace. "I know that dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult. And suspicious and secretive with the worst manners you can possibly imagine, but they are also brave and kind and loyal to a fault." He shifted between looking at Thranduil, Bard and Gandalf. Gandalf still looked proud, but sad at him. "I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can." Bard looked thoughtful down at the Arkenstone, but Thranduil held his stone cold stare at Bilbo. Aspect, who was still hiding had tears in her eyes, trying not to be heard or seen. "But Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, I believe he will give you what you were owed. There will be no need for war." Bilbo said, full of emotions.

Thranduil looked up around him from Bilbo, like nothing had been said the last five minutes. "If you do not want war, then why did you bring the great white wolf, master Baggins? Are you afraid of the elves?," Thranduil asked highly, looking down at him again with a judging stare.

Bilbo started to stutter out some inexplicable words, but didn't get far before Aspect stepped out of the shadows hiding her, pulling off her hood, revealing her white ears. "I came here, in a way, to bargain too. I do trust master Baggins in what he has told you, but I am also, myself, willing to surrender to you, king Thranduil, if that brings peace upon this cursed land," she said with sadness in her eyes. Bilbo and Gandalf looked shocked on her.

"Aspect Nymeria, daughter of Grey Baron are you out of your mind?," Gandalf exclaimed shocked. Aspect looked at him, her wolf-ears laying flat on her head.

"Aspect, you do not need to do this," Bilbo said comforting.

"No, if this is what needs to be done, I will do it. I heard Bard by Erebor's gate. The people of Lake-Town needs a new hope, and if none of you are willing to be it, then I will," Aspect said, scrutinizing Thranduil and Bard. The two men looked at each other.

"I am very flattered, Aspect, but if that is the only reason you would stay here in Dale, just to save your friends life, then you should think your case over," Thranduil said, looking down at Aspect.

"I got told by a very dear friend that I was born to be a leader, and if, by being it, saves him, I am willing to take that risk," Aspect said, meeting Thranduil's eyes, holding his stare.

They both got quiet, holding each others glances. Thranduil suddenly looked away. "That is exactly what the people needs," Bard said, but didn't sound happy.

"But that will not save your friends. It does not solve the problem with the greedy king under the mountain," Thranduil said sharp, looking back at Aspect. "I will go to war against those dwarves."

Aspect took a step back in shock. "Then so be it," she shot back. "Forget your pretty, little princess. Prepare your warriors for the big, bad wolf." Aspect turned around, and walked out of the tent.

Aspect heard Gandalf yell after her, but she started running instead. When she was halfway though the city, she changed to wolf, and the people and elves in Dale who saw her spread a rumor about the white princess who had finally returned, but few of them saw her ever again.