2.1

Andrew:

I let my hand fall from Kiley's arm and it hung to my side. I just stared at Kiley, blankly.

Kiley's gaze fell back down to the book. They held nothing more than the cold they possess.

It's been more than a month since we met, and I've never seen her like this.

Her smile is gone. The glimmer in her eyes. The happy aura around her. It's all gone.

And honestly, that worried me.

I tapped her shoulder lightly she didn't budge. I dropped my backpack to the side and wrote on an index card.

We both know that's not true.

I slipped it on her book and her cold eyes scanned the paper. She closed her eyes and shook her head slowly.

Sighing, i took another card and wrote something else, slipping it to her.

You won't look at me nor talk to me?

She read it; she shook her head.

Did I do something wrong?

She pressed her lips together and used the cards to write something. She also took my pen.

I sat down, waiting for her to finish writing. My heartbeat racing.

She gave me the paper without looking at me. I inhaled and read it.

You're just acting like my friend because I'm deaf. You want me to feel like there's always going to be someone there for me. But, I can't just keep doing this when one day I'll need you and you won't be there for me. You're just my friend because nobody else understands me and some even make fun of me. I may not hear, but I see the looks on people's faces. I don't want to wait for the day that you disappear to know that you were just pretending. Just go, Andrew. Leave me alone.

I didn't say anything, my heart felt like falling to my stomach or rising to my throat. I felt pained at her words.

I just took in a deep breath and wrote down one last note, once I was done, I slipped it to her and stood up. I took my bag and walked away, scared to look back.