Chapter 5: I Think I Love You

You found yourself tied up in a chair and showing signs of a beating. Getting out of the car, you saw Brigands with torn-up hoodies and their faces covered by masks.

"So, we saw that "They" seem to leave you alone and even respond to you," one Bandit said, "so I have a deal for you: Help us get through places infested with those things, and we'll leave your friends alone."

"You'll leave them alone?"

"You have my word," he said.

You knew that your friends have gone to get help from the settlement a few miles away from your location. They were asked to scout for marauders and ended up getting ambushed. You told Takashi that he'll keep them busy while everyone went to get back up, while you allowed yourself to get captured and was beaten to be "straightened out".

"Fine," you said, looking at the marauder. "What do you need me to do?"

Marauder: "Good kid. There's a hospital a few miles out. Damn place should be loaded with medical equipment and supplies, but it's swarming with "Them". So, you get "Them to go to a few ambush sites and bring back something from the hospital to prove that it's legit. Got it?"

"Yeah," you said, glaring at him.

The marauders carried you to the bikes and took you to an area a mile away from the hospital, where they dropped you off.

The Marauder: "This is as close we can get. Good luck. Remember the areas we showed you."

You walked towards the hospital and remembered the times you spent with Shizuka and the others. You vividly remembered Shizuka trying to give you driving lessons while at an empty parking lot.

"Shizuka..." you thought. "I have so many things I want to tell you. I'm trying to fight my thoughts of me fading."

You went to the hospital and followed the instructions to lead groups of "Them" to the ambush sites. Going inside the hospital, you saw several cases filled with antibiotics, you grabbed a case and lures more of "Them" to the ambush sites.

You went back to where the marauders dropped yourself off and handed the case over to them. They opened it and saw the antibiotics.

The Marauder: "It's the real deal, boys. We got a good amount of those bastards. Let's take everything!"

The Marauders charged in and kill the rest of "Them". Suddenly, shots are fired at the marauders. They fired back, but end up killed.

One you saw that Takashi and the others have gotten back up, the people from the settlement begin securing the hospital and grabbing everything that's in there, while Shizuka ran towards you and hugged him.

Shizuka: "Y/N! I'm glad you're alright."

"Well, I'm alive."

Shizuka looked at you and saw all the bruises on yourself. She took him inside the hospital and bandaged yourself up, then you rejoined the others and drove back to the settlement.

You and Shizuka sat on the roof of an apartment building and looked at the full moon.

Shizuka: "I'm so sorry we took so long, Y/N."

"Hey, no worries Shizuka. At least I knew you guys would come back for me."

Shizuka: "You've been through so much in just a year."

"I think it's a year and a half now, but it's okay. Can I just tell you what was on my mind?"

Shizuka: "Anything."

"Before you and the other convinced me to join, I felt like I was what I call "Fading". It's this term I came up with when you have no purpose yet are still alive with no one to go to, but then I met you and I no longer felt like that."

Shizuka: "I'm so happy to hear that."

"There's more. I began to find a purpose in being with you guys. Kohta taught me how to handle guns, Saeko taught me some self-defense, Takashi and I get to check our surroundings, I love playing with Alice and Zero, and you taught me how to drive a little. In between all that, I began to admire many things about you. I saw how pretty you are. I noticed how you cared for my health. I loved how you were there when I felt my mind going in the opposite direction."

Shizuka blushed from hearing your words.

"Shizuka, I... I think I love you."

Shizuka put her hands on your cheeks and kissed you.