Cleaning Frenzy

When Bucky texted me, saying he was taking his elderly neighbour out for lunch and couldn't hangout, I smiled. Sure, he said no but the fact that he even texted back in first place was a big win. Besides, he only promised the night before that he wouldn't disappear, I can't just expect him to drop everything he'd originally had planned just because I was bored.

So I went to see Morgan and Pepper for the day instead. I have a car but it usually stays parked in my building's underground parking. I prefer to take the subway or walk everywhere within New York City. My slate gray Lexus RX was typically only used to travel back and forth from Upstate.

I pulled onto the dirt road that would take me home and I swallowed as I got closer to the house. I've been here lots in the past six months but I still get the same feelings every time I pull up to the house - feelings I will keep bottled up for as long as possible.

Once parked, I took a deep calming breath and exited the vehicle with a huge smile on my face. A short brunette squirt ran out of the house shouting my name before tackling me in the biggest hug ever. It's been about two weeks since I'd made a visit.

"Morgy!" I said, kneeling down and giving her just as big of a hug. I heard the screen door open again and looked up, seeing Pepper standing there with a smile on her face. "Hey mom." I said, moving up the steps and giving her a hug as well, Morgan trailing behind.

"Hey stranger." She said and then let go, "We were just about to have dinner. Hungry?"

"Starving." It's a long drive from the city. Almost 4 hours.

Dinner was delicious as usual. Although Morgan complained the whole time about how vegetables, fruit, and meat do not belong together in a bowl. Just like dad, she was not a fan of salads. Watching her eat each bite with a scrunched up nose, had me smiling and giggling all through lunch that I almost forgot about the intense feelings of despair that were threatening to bubble over.

Once lunch was done, Morgan went outside to play so Pepper and I could catch up. There wasn't much that has changed about me from the last time we had a heart to heart but I would pretend, for her sake.

"Are you adjusting better? Any neurotic cleaning spells?" Pepper asked, pouring me another glass of lemonade.

"I'm doing great and only one. It was when Sam donated the shield to the Smithsonian. It made me super angry but my apartment is better for it. I was letting it get a little messy." By a little messy I mean the one tiny splotch of dried water on the kitchen counter but she didn't need to know that.

"That's good to hear. I'm sorry about the shield but maybe Sam's right." Pepper said.

My fingers twitched as my emotions spiked but stamped it down. I had a feeling Pepper was doing it on purpose because she can be sly like that. I was fine and I was going to prove it to her.

"I ran into Bucky Barnes last night." I said, changing the subject.

Interested, Pepper leaned forward, "And how was that?"

"It was nice. We had a drink, dinner, and chatted. I asked him not to disappear again and that I could use another friend in my corner." I explained, giving her cliffnotes.

"Is that all you want?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Sweetheart, on more than one occasion you've mentioned his absence in your life. He's very obviously been part of your life enough for that to make an impact." Pepper said, placing her hand gently on my forearm.

I thought about what went through my head last night and the fluttery feeling I got when he walked me to my door last night. I thought about all the times we've spent together since officially meeting him back in Vienna. I definitely felt something for him and if I couldn't tell my mom, who could I tell?