2. Love is Just a Four-Letter Word

Strange it is to be beside you
Many years the tables turned
You'd probably not believe me
If I told you all I've learned

It was dusty and chipped in various places. The finer carvings were enhanced by the dirt and grime that was stuck in the cracks and crevices, even though the metal was old. Where the clip used to shine, it was now dull and, in turn, sadder, a reflection of its owner. But Sirius still wore it every single goddamned day. He wore it the day he saw his (platonic) other half and his other half dead in their home, the only place deemed safe for the small family of three, and he wore it everyday for the twelve years afterwards. He still remembers the day Remus gave it to him, scarred, calloused hands clutching the clip like it was a lifeline – probably so he didn't drop it, but still. So, when it was passed over, from large, tan fingers to lean, pale ones, it was only right for Young Remus to trip over his own words rather than his own feet, which was not very unusual for the man.

"Here, Sirius, wait a second- I got you this from- from the antiques store of to the side of The Hog's Head? It- that- I figured it would look nice- you know... in your hair-?"

"Oh Moony... that's so kind! Can't believe you were thinking of me, even when I wasn't there!" Sirius had replied smoothly, keeping a casual air of nonchalance, even though his mind wouldn't stop buzzing repeatedly, screeching various words into Sirius's head. It sounded a bit like: 'christaboveiswearifisaidwasinlovebeforeiwasnotbecausethisisitthisisloveandiamdyingbutwhenidoiwilldiehappily-' and Sirius didn't pay any attention to his mind at all. Probably because his heart was beating so fast, he thought he might go into cardiac arrest and he was trying to focus on maintaining that air of nonchalance that he created before, but he was happy. And flustered. But mainly happy. So he gently clipped the flower in his hair, grinned at Remus, and gave him a peck on the cheek, before dashing to the library to gush to Marlene and Dorcas about just how sweet the gesture was.

Sirius likes to think the clip held a deeper meaning now, and when he gets his hands on a wand, he will restore it to its former glory. For now, he needs three things. Shelter, food, and a bloody shower. Then, he will worry about less important matters, like trying not to get caught by any form of authority because he is a national fugitive or get recognised by any member of the magical or muggle British public, because he was apparently armed and dangerous, not to mention a serial murderer. So, he decides he will apparate to The Headmaster of Hogwarts' office, whoever might be occupying it. (Though he has a strong hunch it is Dumbledore.) He figured that even though he isn't fond of him, Dumbledore is impartial and will give him the benefit of the doubt.

__

"Hello Remus! Pleasure to see you, and I am so glad we could meet in person. Have a seat, have a seat, and help yourself to some biscuits," Dumbledore welcomed, with a pleasant smile and kind eyes.

"Thank you, Professor. I hope you've been having a good day?" Remus answered, politely calling his former headmaster by the term he used when he was still attending Hogwarts out of pure habit.

"I have indeed! I actually had a specific matter to talk with you on. I trust Minerva told you that Sirius Black has officially escaped Azkaban as of yesterday morning?" His voice took on a more sincere tone at the mention of the news, purely out of concern for Remus. The future professor stood a young man, only 33, but his face seemed to show years of wear and worry, and his clothes hung from his tall frame. You could see, feel, the shadows his face took on, perhaps only there because of the absence of his star, his light, Sirius. Dumbledore himself has taken it upon himself to treat this as a sensitive matter, because while he cared for his former student, he was also inclined to believe that Sirius Black was indeed not guilty, as Remus had insisted so many years ago.

"She did tell me, yes." Remus replies, throat closing at the thought of Sirius.

"Good, good. Listen, I have the inkling that Mr. Black was, indeed, innocent. While his recent actions almost guarantee him a lifetime back in Azkaban, if we clear his name, he would be a hero. In fact, if my assumption is right, he would not only be a hero, but who ever did betray the Potters would almost definitely be killed, either by the Deatheaters or by prisoners in Azkaban. So, we need to get a hold of Black, and my first guess is that he would come to you, or me. Therefore, Remus, I ha-"

A loud crack fills the room. Remus slowly turns around and is faced with Sirius Black, looking the same as ever, with an exception to his matted hair and dirty face. His eyes, which before had seemed to have faded into a rather dull grey, have lit up into the beautiful, bright silver Remus remembers from his old Hogwarts days, and they lit up at the sight of him, a scarred werewolf  professor wearing a patchy suit and scuffed shoesSirius still has his high cheekbones, long lashes, and pouty lips from when they were 21, and the familiarity of it all washes a wave of affection, nostalgia, hope and even that feeling of homeliness that the wolf hadn't experienced in years over Remus. A thought appears in his mind as he stares at his lover.

I'm not alone anymore.

Suddenly, Remus seems to have detached from his body, and there is a loud ringing in his ears as he feels his chair scrape backwards, his feet pulling themselves one in front of the other as he embraces his star tightly, breathing 'I love yous' and 'I'm so sorrys' into his hair. His cheeks are wet with the rivers of raw emotion that fall out of them, and he can feel his shirt soak with Sirius' tears as he leans into Remus' shoulder. They stand like that for a while, with Remus rubbing Sirius' back and planting a kiss to his forehead occasionally, until Dumbledore clears his throat. "Now for other matters..."

__

Sirius presses himself closer into Remus' neck as they lay on the sofa together, falling into a comfortable silence, even after a twelve-year gap. Remus has his hands on Sirius' waist, rubbing lovingly as Sirius smiles into Remus. He moves one of his hands to touch the clip in his hair, which Sirius restored upon getting his wand. He still remembers the day he gifted it to him fondly, as Sirius starts to speak. "Dumbledore said my trial is on Friday." His voice is raspy, barely whispering the sentence into Remus' ear. Azkaban had taken its toll on Sirius, but he was just starting to learn how to be what he was before, only a little quieter and perhaps even a little more grateful of his wolf. Remus just mumbled into his hair. "We have all the time in the world, Sirius. Forget about Friday, love, and sleep."

And they did.

__

Author's Note: Finally finished!! I really wanted to touch base on post-azkaban wolfstar, and I think I have satisfied myself! I would really appreciate some requests, because I have no idea what to do, but I really want to do an Assassin!AU and maybe even a Royal!AU, based on two separate oneshots I read, which I'll link below. 

Royal!AU: https://www.wattpad.com/story/329145748-the-king-and-his-songbird-a-wolfstar-royalty-au

Assassin!AU: (read chapter 'Emotionless' to 'Wow... Emotions' for the assassin series. The rest of the book is really good to though!) https://www.wattpad.com/story/141194128-forever-and-always-wolfstar-fluffy-one-shots