Chapter Fifty-Two: Noblesse Oblige

Red had been troubled lately.

William, Sophia, and Casia, who had known her longer, could pick it up. They did not speak to her directly, but William knew Red had doubted herself—or at least her plans. However, he had yet to learn her long or well enough to guess more, and it was not his place to ask.

"Is this necessary?" asked Red as they neared the gates.

Was what necessary?

It hardly mattered.

"Red, you made this decision," said Sophia. "I believe you know the answer."

"I know," said Red. "This is a lot of extra busy work for the same reward. We've got to backtrack and make sure he doesn't escape."

"And you alienate Tef or Alasa," said William. "Both of whom know much more than appears at first glance. And you don't kill a repentant man; you get a reputation for benevolence.

"We'll also be ingratiating ourselves to Vines further."

"I don't see why I should pay your tab," said Rundas, who had burrowed a knife to shave his beard. He'd also been given a change of clothes, which Felix had brought, so he wore a black robe tied with rope. His beard was shorter, and his hair had been cut short while bathed in a river.

"Because you have been breaking the law," said Red. Then again, she only cared because she was getting paid.

Tef met them at the gate, wearing a hood and robe. She ran forward, her robe stretched, and looked very happy to see them. A new earring was on one ear, and William thought the diamond looked good in it.

"William?" said Tef, rushing forward. "Rundas?!"

She hugged him quickly, and Rundas flinched, returning the embrace. "Hello, Tef."

"What's going on?" asked Tef, breaking the embrace.

"I need to get to my house," said Rundas, pulling his hood over his head. "You still have that key?"

"Yeah, I do," said Tef, drawing it up.

"Good, we need it," said Rundas.

"I'll take you there," said Tef.

They hurried off beneath the noonday sun, and William wished they'd arrived later. Not waiting would do them any good; by now, they'd surely been marked, and speed was the best protection. They would be fine if they could get indoors before anyone could respond. Felix stayed near Rundas the whole time, almost in his shadow, while William went ahead with his armor.

"...Do you think this will work?" asked Casia. "I mean, won't Vines kill Rundas?"

"If Rundas pays Vines both the license money and the money hired to hunt us, Vines gets what he wants and saves money. That will please him a great deal," said William. "I believe he is in debt at the moment.

"His habits seem to be expensive."

"You sure he'll take the bait?" asked Red. "Maybe he'll want Rundas dead anyway."

"I don't think he can legally do that," said Red. "And it is a useless risk.

"Besides, all that man cares about is money anyway."

They hurried to the house, skipping past the Swan's rest. Several people moved off, but there was no resistance or sign of arrest. Eventually, they arrived at the doors, and Tef opened the lock. Rundas went in, and Felix was after him like a shadow, nodding to Red.

"Make sure he doesn't escape," said Red.

They waited.

The light began to go past noon, and it became cooler. William tested a water pump and saw the water come out clean. Some people seemed to be filling buckets from it. Filling his canteen from a fountain, he drank gratefully. The water was cool, and he knew this fountain had not been working before.