eleven

Things did not get easier, per se, but Amara adapted. She was introduced to court with a flair. A pretty lilac dress and her finest jewelry were how she made her entrance into the all of rich lords and ladies waiting for the newest thing to talk about. That was what Amara was used to, what she was good at. Slipping herself into groups of ladies and beginning to talk. Politics. Figuring out who was a snake beneath the pretty pearls and fake jewels and who was genuinely naive. A mix of both was required to maintain an active and important position in court.

It was so very important to have friends in court who talked. Being caught unaware of the situation at any time was a bad thing. Especially when Amara was in a new place; she had a lot to catch up on before her wedding. She learned much from the women who shouted about shame but turned around during their tea sessions and gossiped about the maid who had to use moontea after leaving Prince Aegon's rooms. They stood in the corner at court and whispered about the women who wore frumpy dresses trying to impress an audience of far richer lords and ladies.

Amara would learn what games her father signed her up for. In time.

She doubled her attempts to learn about the man she was supposed to marry. Amara prodded around at court without coming off as a witch who was out to get the royal family. Instead, she approached it at the angle of a nervous girl asking about her future husband. Naive.

It was said by many at court that Aemond was very devoted and loyal to his family, his mother, especially. He had a good relationship with his sister, they often rode their dragons together, and a worse relationship with his brother. The consensus around the castle was that Aegon caused a lot of trouble. In whispers, Amara was told he had to be dragged home from Flea Bottom many nights and spent the other nights drunk in the Holdfast. The family's relationship with the heir and the King's brother had all but broken down since the altercation that took Aemond's eye.

Amara also learned about him by watching. She didn't follow him around like a puppy but Amara had friends at court who were more excited about her marriage than she was. They dragged her around the castle to talk wedding details, gawk at the flowers she brought from the Reach, and attempt to push her and Aemond together. That included taking Amara to ogle at the men in the training yard.

Prince Aemond frequented the yard. Amara saw the evidence of the truth in her father's last letter to her. He did have skill in fighting, at least against one of the Kingsguard knights. It seemed to be something he was passionate about. Aemond also spent much time studying the histories of his House and riding his dragon around. Amara was told he rode the biggest, her name was Vhagar.

Her first sighting of a dragon was terrifying. The massive, scaled creature blocked out the sun over the Holdfast and Amara was convinced they were being punished by some God. But then she'd seen the beast and marvelled at its size and ferocity. She understood how Aegon the First had made himself and his house into Kings.

That was how Amara got what she needed to try and form a connection with the man she was supposed to marry. The pair of them were encouraged to have dinner together regularly so they could bond and make an attempt at courtship before their marriage. Only it felt like Aemond had made no attempts at all. So focused on his honour and duty to his Targaryen family that he spared no time for the outsider he was to marry. She has to try something, however.

"That language you speak," it was a very sudden conversation for Amara. She felt like she was running out of options with their impending wedding and she wanted to know something about the man that would sire her children. "The one you use to talk to your dragons? It's fascinating. What is it called?" Amara knew what it was but she wanted Aemond to see that she was willing to put in an effort. To ask him about the things he enjoyed.