Chapter 13: She Hated Change

"The past is gone for good. You can sit here mourning its departure, or prepare for the future."

- Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones

Training under the heat was definitely the worst thing she experienced

Training under the heat was definitely the worst thing she experienced. The sweat made her clothes cling to her sticky skin, she was getting a horrible headache, she couldn't see properly because of the glaring sun, and every single movement she made with the heavy weight strapped around her waist made it all the more worse.

Every part of her body was screaming and begging for water, her throat was dry and she couldn't even swallow her saliva because all the water in her body turned to sweat. If this was what the scouts had to go through every day, then might as well kill her now.

She hates the heat with every fiber of her being and she would rather be six feet under than work under the scorching sun. But, as much as she hates being under the heat, she also hates losing to Levi. No, she actually hated losing to Levi to the point that she'd rather stand under the heat if it meant being able to watch him suffer with her.

How many times had they gone through the same forest attacking the dummy titans around them? Was this to practice camaraderie or team work? Well for fucks sake, these people were just slowing her down. 'Special Elite Squad they say, elite my ass. I could do the tricks they did even with my eyes closed and much better at that.' She thought to herself, watching Petra slash the same titan dummy that she had just attacked. Call Adira arrogant, but she was arrogant for a reason. She had the skills to back it up.

She felt her eyes twitch seeing the other end of the forest already and she was really tempted to just leave the people behind for her sake. But no, this was her team and she must believe in them. Then again she wasn't here to win their approval. She had one job and she'll do a damn great one.

They were all chosen for a reason and she shouldn't judge Levi's choices. His really shitty choices. No. That was wrong of her. Walls, so much for trying to be kind and believing in them.

She ran her fingers through her braided hair and let out a sigh. Continuing her path towards the end. She wasn't one to care about camaraderie and all that friendship and sunshine shit. Growing up isolated from the world, she never found the reason for needing friends. She may be kind to others, she may give inspiring words, and she may be a whole different person in others eyes. In the end of the day, she just won't give a fuck. Call her a two-faced bitch and she'd still smile at you while thinking of every insult known to man inside her mind.

Damn. Was she always like this? No, she remembered actually being kind and passionate about others. She remembered telling a girl to never lose the light in her eyes and to imagine leaving the underground and look at the stars above. She remembered being genuine to everyone. When did it all change? When did she change?

Another dummy titan appeared in front of her, and with one quick movement she slashed the nape, deeper than usual.

Did she change the moment she left behind her past and create a new path before her? The moment she vowed to seek revenge for Elena's death? That wasn't good, she hated change.

"Adira!"

She hated how much you had to adjust and adapt to the change that happened around them. She hated not having a set routine everyday. She hated having to go through all this. Sure, what she does requires the constant need to adapt, and she never even bothered before. Perhaps she hated change now compared to before because Elena was not here. The only person she ever needed in case things goes wrong.

But she was gone and so was every part of Adira that felt compassionate and kind to others.

"Adira!"

She hated change and yet she still created the biggest change for herself. From the story behind her background, where she used to live, and her name. She changed it all, because to her, the one thing she feared the most was her past.

Even if she hated change, she'd rather do that if it meant being able to run away from her horrible childhood.

"Oi Adira!" Breaking out of her trance, she was met by a titan that suddenly appeared right before her. Except, she couldn't slash it so easily because it was right in front of her. Before she could change her direction to slash its neck, Levi came to view as he held onto her waist and pulled her out of that area.

Her eyes remained empty despite Levi being right beside her and his arm still wrapped around her waist. She didn't bother listening nor replying to Levi's yells at her. Suddenly, a small glimpse of Elena brought Adira back to reality. They were training and they were about to reach the end. She was being held by Levi and he was furiously glaring at her. But was that worry behind his eyes?

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and let out a small, teasing smirk. "Hey there Levi, good to see you so close to me."

Immediately after, he let go of her and matched her pace. "What the fuck happened to you. We're training and working on teamwork and trust right now when all of a sudden I see you almost crash into a dummy."

"Oh? So you were worried for me Levi?" He clicked his tongue and faced forward. "You are now a part of my squad so act like it." He didn't deny it though.

"Maybe it's because I hate being dragged down, or perhaps it's this scorching heat. Or maybe it's your constant need to watch me that makes me act differently, Levi."

"Focus will you? Erwin chose you for a reason and put you in my squad without my approval. So prove to me why you deserve to even be a part of my team."

Swinging a few feet in front of Levi, she looked back at him and winked. "Fine then. If it's a show you want, I'll make you watch me until you can't keep your eyes off of me. 'Kay? You'll love it."

And in a blink of an eye, Adira boosted up her gas and went ahead. Twirling around the air, taking down all the titans ahead of her easily.

If only Levi knew that the reason why Adira went ahead and displayed her act of arrogance was because she needed to clear her head and hide the conflict in her eyes. No one needed to know this side of her. No one ever will. Not again, not anymore.