15. BBQ

Tyler sits at the kitchen table, zoned out. His mind has been focused on you ever since he admitted his feelings for you. "Ty!" Taylor shouts, earning his attention. "What?" He shoots her a glare. "I've been calling your name for a few minutes now," Taylor says. "Sorry, I didn't hear you..." Tyler sighs. "What's wrong, sweetie? You seem... distant" Mrs. Hernández places a hand on his shoulder.

Tyler opens his mouth but closes it since nothing comes out. Taylor and their mom eye him, slightly worried. Tyler sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I... I like this girl" Tyler says, not making eye contact with either of them. Their eyes widen at his words. "Is it..?" Taylor trails off. Tyler nods and Taylor squeals, "I knew it!". "Who is she?" Mrs. Hernández questions. "Our friend [Y/N] Morgan. She moved here at the beginning of the year. She's strong, athletic, caring, pretty..." Tyler pauses, realizing he's rambling. "Aw!" Taylor smiles. "When will I meet her?" Mrs. Hernández smiles. "Tonight but you can't say anything... Not until I... I ask her to be my girlfriend" Tyler's face becomes hot as he puts his head on the table. "I won't say anything" His mother smiles.

☾☾☽☽

You and your dad arrive at Ashlyn's house. Your dad brought some food to share with the other families. He was excited about the BBQ when you told him.

"[Y/N], how are you with the whole Tyler situation?" Your dad questions as the two of you walk to Ashlyn's front door. "It's been fine honestly. We've gotten closer recently, now that I think about it. He's always around, looking out for me. Not that I'm complaining" You answer. "You're okay with that?" Your dad raises an eyebrow. "...Yeah," You knock on Ashlyn's front door.

Feet shuffle from inside and the door opens, revealing Ashlyn. "Hello, everyone's out back already. I'm just waiting on the twins" Ashlyn opens the door wide so you and your dad can enter. "Okay," You turn to your dad, "Go ahead. I'll wait with Ash,". "Okay, see you kids soon" Your dad heads out the back door.

You and Ashlyn sit on one of the living room couches in silence. "Sorry if this is a sensitive topic but..." Ashlyn pauses, "But where's your mom?". You feel your body tense up, "She... Um— She passed away last year". "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that" Ashlyn adverts her eyes elsewhere, clearly regretting her question. "It's okay" You relax, "Why do you ask?".

"I was thinking about how the twins never speak of their family... Then I realized your mom hasn't been mentioned either" Ashlyn explains. You hum. "You like him, right?" Ashlyn eyes you. Your face turns red, "Who? Tyler? You didn't know?". "I did, just needed confirmation... But, why him?" Ashlyn gives you a look. The beef between her and Tyler is what makes her ask. You chuckle, "I don't think you want to hear the sappy details". "You're right," Ashlyn shivers.

A knock is heard on the door. You follow Ashlyn with your eyes as she walks to the door. Ashlyn opens the door to reveal a lady with brown hair. "Who are you?" You hear Ashlyn's question. "Hello," The lady smiles. "Mom!" You hear a familiar voice shout, making you stand up and walk to the door. "Why'd you walk off without us?" Tyler asks. The lady who you now know as the twin's mom is carrying a tray of food and so is Tyler. Taylor seems to be carrying a bunch of presents. "Sorry, dear, I thought you were behind me" Mrs. Hernández looks back at her son. "I was helping Taylor grab the food and presents," Tyler says. The twins make it to the doorstep, both of them noticing you.

Tyler feels his face become warm as he swallows. "Hey, Ashlyn! [Y/N]!" Taylor smiles. "Hey, Tay, let me help you with those" You move to her and grab a few presents from her arms. "Oh, thank you, [Y/N],". Mrs. Hernández eyes you, putting a face to the name. "Are you going to let us in or what?" Tyler asks Ashlyn. "Don't be rude, honey" You hear Mrs. Hernández's soft voice beside you. "Everyone's in the graveyard already. We were just waiting for you guys" You face Tyler. He glances down at you and man, you're pretty. "Oh," He mumbles.