23. Infected

You jolt up from your bed as Alex and Ashlyn walk into your room. You immediately notice the thing on Ashlyn's head. "What the hell is she wearing?" You shoot a glare at Alex. "It reads brain waves. They said they are trying something today, I'm not sure what though but they want you to wear one too" Alex holds up another brave wave reader. You glance at Ashlyn and she gives you a nod. "Alright..." You sit where Alex can easily put the equipment in your head.

"Okay, before we go..." Alex eyes both you and Ashlyn. "What is it?" You cock an eyebrow. "I want to ask you two a question". "Which is?" Ashlyn crosses her arms. "You say you're friends but did you guys know you're related to each other?" Alex asks. "What?!" You and Ashlyn say in unison. "Okay... I guess you didn't but you're cousins" Alex clasps his hands together. "How is that possible?" You questions. "Your moms are sisters" Alex explains.

You and Ashlyn glance at each other with wide eyes. "How..?" You mutter. "Your mom" Alex looks at you, "Had a different dad". Something clicks in Ashlyn's head, 'That actually makes sense... Both [Y/N] and I were the only ones out of our group affected by the Phantom's... [Y/N]'s mother's death and my birth'

"Well, at least I have some family with me..." You smile, sadly. You know the parents are located on the floor beneath yours because of what Aiden pulled up on his computer last night. However, you need a higher clearance to access the files. It made everything seem more sketchy than it seemed. Why are they keeping the parents here too? "Yeah..." Ashlyn returns your smile.

You hear knocks on your door before it opens revealing an unknown man and woman. "Are you done? We'll take them from here" The dark brunette-haired man walks further into your room. The two strangers lead you and Ashlyn down a hallway. Ashlyn and you glance at each other, both getting an uneasy feeling. The woman scans her keycard, opening a door. "Go in" She orders.

The two of you walk in and your eyes widen, "This is an infected?". "Yeah..." Ashlyn answers. "Why the hell do they have us in here with that? This is revolting..!" You clench your hands into fists. The infected tries to get free from its chains but it's no use. "Ms. Banner and Ms. Morgan," Someone comes through the speaker in the room. You and Ashlyn look toward the window. "We would like you both to try and interact with the infected" The voice continues. "What, is this some kind of sick joke to you?!" Your furrow your eyebrows.

"No. We would like for both of you to interact with the infected. Talk to it. Try to touch it. It can't harm you with the restraints. We'll be keeping an eye on your brainwaves during the process to try and see why the fungus has been affecting the two of you differently" The masculine voice comes through the speakers. "What..? Affects us differently how?" You mumble. "[Y/N]," Ashlyn grabs your attention. "What?" You raise an eyebrow. "Do you know how your family got into a crash?" Ashlyn questions. "Another car? I mean, I wasn't paying attention" You reply. "No," Ashlyn shakes her head and whispers, "It was a phantom... Your dad told us the day you were in the hospital". Your eyes widen at the news, "I-I didn't know...".

"Hold on, you want us to touch it? Are you fucking mentally ill?" You glare at the people behind the window, "Why don't you touch first since you're so confident in the restraints?". "Or is there a reason you're choosing to stay behind that window?" Ashlyn asks. You both receive no answer.

"And if we refuse?" You question, knowing it'll receive an answer. "Then we'll see if someone else in your group will be more willing" The man replies, "You wouldn't like for Tyler to be in your place right?". The man knows it would get under your skin. After all, you and Tyler were in the same bed when the two of you were taken to this place. You can see the slight smirk on the man's face. "Screw you..!" You retort. "I'll go first" Ashlyn speaks up. "Like hell, you will" You argue. "It's us or them" Ashlyn glances back at you. You grit your teeth, knowing she's right.

You walk behind Ashlyn as the two of you strut toward the infected. You watch as it tries to fight its restraints. "Hi" Ashlyn's monotone voice is heard over the clinging of the chains. The infected seems to have been angered and lunges at the two of you, causing you to pull Ashlyn away by her wrist. "I'm not touching it, this is stupid" Ashlyn faces the window. You hear a click and the restraints fall from the infected's wrist, setting it free.

Ashlyn pushes you away before the infected can touch you. "Ashlyn!" You shout, turning back to face her. She knocks it down with a swipe of its feet. "What the hell are you doing?!" Anger rises within the freckled girl's body. You notice her freeze. "[Y/N], it's her..! From the Sorrel Weed House," Your attention turns to the window. You scoff out in disbelief, "They meant for this to happen from the beginning..." You mutter.

You hear a thud beside you and see the infected on top of Ashlyn. "Ash!" You cry out. "Get the hell off my cousin!" You lunge at the infected. You and the infected roll across the floor as you hear Ashlyn shout for you.

Well, that's it for now until then new episodes come out! 18 days to be exact...