The Winner

************************************
4 months earlier...
************************************

"I can't believe we are actually here!"

"Believe it, Jules! Could you imagine if they actually pick your number?" I think Chloe was just as excited as I was.

"Yeah, ok, wishful thinking. You're lucky I'm not mad at you for submitting my name on that Bucket-List Contest."

The contest happens once a year at the end of the well-known singing competition, "America's Voice " Finale, which happens to be next month. Due to the footage having to be edited and all it technically begins today, not live. Filming begins after the airing of tonight's semi-final show.

Unbeknownst to me, Chloe took it upon herself to enter my name and wrote up a bio to see if me and a lucky guest ( herself) would get picked to attend tonight's episode .

The bucket list contest is pretty much just that. One chair gets selected to fulfill their musical/ artistic dreams. Not just singing - learning an instrument , Broadway, dancing, etc. Under the wing of the coach who fits the bill on ability to teach the talent. A once in a lifetime experience, all accommodations included.

Chloe, sure as hell knows I can't sing or dance but have always wanted to learn how to play the guitar.

It all started with that one stupid form filled out spontaneously. She did it to cheer me up if we did, in fact, get the call.

I've never been to L.A. . Certainly never flew on a plane without Luke, but this was quite the fun adventure just sitting in this huge theater. Our seats are even floor seats, not up in the balcony like I would have thought.

Chloe definitely knows how to take my mind off life, making our trip a long weekend. She is a good friend.

The semi-final show has finally ended, and the lights turn on. We are all well aware we are stuck here for at least 45 minutes before the hosts come out to start announcing the winners. We couldn't even bring our phones in, so to say we are now pretty damn bored is an understatement.

I can tell some of the audience truly thinks they are sitting on the winner chair and kind of feel bad knowing there are only 4 spots every year. Frankly, I could give two shits about actually winning. I'm smart enough to set myself up for the loss. But how can you turn down a paid mini vacation ? You'd be stupid not to!

The time flies by once we start making conversations with the contestants seated around us, and before you know it, the lights dim.

Everyone was silent like a movie was about to start.

"Time to go home," I whisper to Chloe

"Shhhh ! Pay attention Bitch "

I smirk holding in a laugh.

The host comes out and rereads all the rules and contracts. When you hear your name you are allowed to walk up to the stage but can not touch, or hug the celebrity coaches unless they do so first. I have a feeling whoever wins will break that rule seeing how excited some of the people in the crowd are, especially knowing all the coaches are so well known.

The four coaches all walk to the middle of the stage, smiling and waving as the theater suddenly becomes insanely loud with cheers .

The first celebrity coach opened his envelope, making one 23 year old girl ecstatic, running up to the stage crying , barely containing herself, but refraining from hugging the singer.

"One down" I state

"Jules shut it."

The second winner, a man probably a little older than myself, gets to spend time with legendary country artist.

"Two down..."

"Shut the fuck up."

I'm getting on her nerves so I stop. The third winner goes up to her coach and there's only one spot left. Nate Hollan's spot to learn to sing and/ or play an instrument.

I reach down under my seat to grab my purse so I don't forget it when we leave, knowing this room is going to be a zoo after, when the envelope is opened.

" Saving the best for last " Nate opens the envelope and smiles.

" 38! "

Wait. What? I'm in seat number 38. You've gotta be shitting me! The spotlight goes straight to me as I sit there, stunned and wide-eyed. Like a deer in headlights.

" Oh my God, Julia, that's YOU!! " Chloe exclaimed. " Go up!"

I stand up, and some of the crowd cheers while other's are disappointed their chance is gone.

"There you are, come on up!" Nate says with a huge smile.

Everything feels like it's in slow motion. People move their legs out of the way, and I walk through the aisle and up to the stage like it's all some dream.

"Number 38, everyone! " the host says. As I'm walking up , Nate takes my hand and walks us both back to the spot we are to stand at.

He raises my arm up with his, still clasping on to my hand, making sure to look at the crowd and bypass the cameramen all around.

"Number 38! Soon to be the best guitarist in the world!" He yells, and the flashes of cameras go off. I can't see, and certainly can't find Chloe or even where we were seated. I just smile, still in shock. He gives me a big bear hug and keeps his arm on my back. The host leans down and holds the microphone towards me.

"What's your name, and where ya from?" He recites. I force myself to snap out of it so I don't look like an ass on camera.

"Julia Moretti, from Boston Massachusetts." I say into the microphone, hearing my voice all around me.

" Wow, Julia, everyone! All the way from Boston. Our 4th and final winner!" He announces.

I smile and start to let myself feel the excitement of what lies ahead.

My life is about to change.