I Fooled Around And Fell In Love

*Nate*

[Sorry, Jules, I got caught up with stuff. Can we meet  tomorrow and I'll get your health insurance card then?]

 I lie and take another sip of whiskey. The only thing I'm currently caught up in is drinking my lunch.

[Of course. I know you're a busy man]

[Thanks Doll.]

 I lean back in the booth trying to ignore Natalie which is hard to do with that body.  I don't have it in me today though.  A guy can only handle so much in one day and Natalie is a handful.

"God, you come here earlier and earlier." Natalie walks by while tying her hair back. I say nothing, fully aware of my problems.

*****

*Julia*

"Before session I'm gonna go visit my mom. Wanna come with?" James lays on my bed sideways watching me put my make up on in the bathroom.

"Really??" I put my mascara down and look at him through the mirror. "I'd love to meet your mom."

"You'll probably meet a few of my crazy sisters if that's ok. Katie and Kendall live with mom but we all help take care of her." James doesn't look at me anymore. He gets off the bed  and walks to the window. I study the man through the mirror. He's in jeans that fit him perfectly and a plain sky blue Nike T-shirt that brings out his ocean eyes. Add a pair of classic Vans and he looks like a model in a magazine.

Today's outfit for me will be my light pink and grey flannel and skinny jeans. Also with Vans but grey slip ons to match. Right now I am in only my  matching dark green and white  polka dotted bra and underwear and James doesn't seem to mind at all. I have a thing for Victoria Secrets matching sets and if I had unlimited funds would buy out the whole store. Every once in awhile he will look me over and thinks I don't notice. I notice.

"How old is your mom??" I lean over the bathroom counter trying to see him while continuing my mascara.

"I dunno. Late 50's early 60's, I guess? I should know, huh." He keeps his back facing me.

"Oh. She's not that old. She needs to be taken care of??" I put down my make up and walk out of the bathroom. I grab my flannel and put my arms in the sleeves but freeze  before buttoning the shirt when James continues the conversation.

"She has dementia." He turns around an shrugs. "Just started about a year ago." He notices my frozen stance.

"That's awful. I'm sorry." I walk over and wrap my arms around him.  He deals with so much and I am just now starting to get a glimpse into this man's life. He's always so carefree and happy. I don't know how he does it.

"It's ok. We all help her. It's not bad yet." James curls his arm around me against my skin under my open flannel, giving me a knot in my stomach. I take in the clean scent of his cologne and start to melt into him. Jesus I have issues. We pull away slowly and he looks down at my lips. I can tell he wants to kiss me as much as I want it but gives me a little grin and backs up, still holding on to my waist.

"Finish up, Miss Moretti. She lives 45 minutes away." James says, his eyes floating from my eyes to my lips and back up. He sighs and lets go. I nod and button my shirt.

*****

The drive goes by quickly. James's dog is content in the backseat while we listen to country music. James sings along and whether he realizes it or not, has an amazing voice.  Deeper and thicker than Nate's but still outstanding.

"We're at Nana's house Mags." Hi pulls in to a decent sized white house. Old but well taken care of, just like his. Maggie perks her ears, waiting to get out. James opens my door as always which I think is the sweetest thing. He lets Maggie out and the front door to the house swings open.