Chapter 35 - Out Of Time

Chalkline's POV

"You didn't have to come back here with me."

Although I felt like I needed the company right now. Just anything to distract me from turning on my phone and arguing with my wife.

She wasn't a drinker of alcohol so I poured her a glass of orange juice. "Thank you. I didn't like how you looked lonely."

"Believe I am always looking lonely, even in a crowded room."

"That I notice, you aren't too big on crowds"

"Yeah but I've always survived."

She laughed and took a sip of her juice. "Do you want to play spades again?"

I didn't want to be rude so I obliged. She has been kind to me and supportive.

"Get the cards out and get ready to lose this time. I will not have any mercy on you.."

"It's not in my blood to lose sir and I will never beg you to have mercy on me. Come sit right here and allow me to kick your butt."

I poured myself some liquor and took a seat beside her. Phone started to ring as she was about to take the cards from her bag.

"This is a Jamaican number," she said, making me alert.

"Let me see." She turned the phone to me and I saw the number, it was Mel. "It's my mom, my phone has been off so she's probably trying to get me."

"Well you want to talk to her?"

Really didn't want to give Sitra the wrong impression about my mother. I took a deep breath and took the phone and answered it.

"Is this an emergency?".

There was a brief silence on the other line. "Mom?"

"Yes, Tamara is standing in your kitchen with your wife."

Just by the way she was whispering, suddenly it felt like the walls were closing in on me. Every hair on my body started to rise, my throat felt like sand was in it and I was about to shit myself.

"Wah...umm... Mel, how?"

"I don't know but I will send the pilot for you to come home now."

"Mel, giver the phone."

I waited for her to come on the phone, it felt like eternity. "Hello?" Hearing the sound of her voice, made it real. She was really there.

"Tamara, I understand why you are there but please, give me some time until I get there."

She went silent and I could hear my heart beating out my chest.

"Did you care at all about my feelings?"

"Tam, this is not about you and I, it's about my wife and she doesn't deserve this right now."

"No, it's about all of us now. That's what you wanted right?"

I removed the phone from my ears and took a deep breath before returning to the call.

"Tamara, please, I'm just a couple hours away. Give me some time."

"The amount of time I remember begging you I lost count and you didn't care. You're out of time. Bye Garrick."

The line went dead and I almost threw the phone before remembering that it wasn't mine. I gave Sitra her phone and put the glass to my head. I didn't stop until I felt the raw liquor burning my chest as it went down.

"Is everything ok?" Sitra asked.

"I'm afraid not and I don't think it will ever be for now."

"Is there something I could help you with?"