𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘

┏━━━━⋆。゚☁︎。⋆☾ ゚。⋆━━━━┓

BABY BLUES

AUGUSTINE WASN'T SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF WAKING UP.

Between the incident regarding the young girl, the looming threat of the Volturi, and the fact that Jasper and Alice had fled for some unforeseen reason, the Cullens were working overtime to solve every possible problem.

So far, they'd been able to gather many witnesses who were staying at their home, all vampires who were willing to stand alongside the Olympic coven when the snow would finally stick to the ground. Alice and Jasper were still missing in action, no one knowing where they were off to.

And as for Augustine's odd predicament, she'd been asleep for those same two weeks and was unable to awoken by the doctors. Even Carlisle couldn't figure it out, his colleagues attributing her deep slumber to the fact that her body went through the wringer due to her wound's extensiveness and the surgery that saved her life.

It'll take time, they said. She shouldn't have survived at all.

So while the blond man was trying to rally up an action plan against the Volturi, he was also trying to find an answer. His office became the home base for those who wished to help him research, namely Rosalie and Esme, but even Emmett put aside his hatred for reading to help. Edward and Bella were noticeably busy, always on alert when it came to their growing daughter and supervising their guests.

But, everyone knew that one Paul Lahote was yet to leave the hospital for more than a few hours at a time. Even when visiting hours were long over, his wolfish figure would be hidden by the trees near her window just in case she woke up. Sam was giving him leeway when it came to patrol, knowing he'd been equally as distraught after the incident with his own imprint.

Nonetheless, Carlisle never said anything when he caught the boy around, even when he wasn't supposed to be. However, they'd been researching for weeks, and all of his theories were proving to be inconclusive.

Until he asked to see the letter Esme found one more time.

Reading the chicken scratch once more, he couldn't shake the feeling that he recognized the anonymous penmanship. Esme merely watched as her mate ruffled through his desk drawers, almost frantically, until he found was he was looking for.

That old parchment he showed Augustine over two months ago, a drawing of two men present on the front. As he flipped it over, he found just what he was looking for and scolded himself for not seeing it sooner.

"Mon ami, FREEDOM AWAITS."

Placing the letter on the desk beside the parchment, the capital letters on both were written nearly identically. Carlisle shook his head; how was this possible?

"What is it?" Esme asked, lingering in front of his desk as his eyes flickered from both pieces of paper.

"It seems like an old friend of mine has returned after years of evasion... and he's the one who left that letter for August."

Finding information on a man who had been seen by anyone in almost three centuries was not an easy task, but Carlisle was willing to try. He was willing to do anything, at this point.