Chapter Fifty-Four: Final Analysis

Lura knew a great deal, just as Saphra had said she had.

Fayn could see why she had recommended her and listened intently to her as the wagon made its way down the path. It was getting colder today, so there was less of a beating sun, and Ham was at the reigns. The wagon was filled with loot taken from Hrunter, things that could not be returned.

Fayn had made sure to give back what she could to those who had been stolen. Varsus had organized that on her behalf, and it had taken a while. Fayn calculated that the benefits of returning the goods would outweigh the money. And they still had a lot imported from the Islands of Power.

"...And that is the recipe for Fool's Gold," said Lura, finishing with her chalk on the board.

Fayn nodded, wondering how she managed to keep her clothes so low cut and not catch a chill. Lura seemed to treat her body like a puppet, and it didn't seem to have the same effect on her. It had an appeal.

"It is not real, of course. Alchemists have been seeking a means to create gold from the lead for many years in my world," said Lura. "It is the moot point now, however.

"Our history and practices were abandoned in favor of sciences. All sorts of technology were provided, little by little, in one way or another. It did much to increase our power."

"What was the cost?" asked Reginald to one side, listening.

"Everything," said Lura. "And Basilisk paid the price without the product."

"Is that why you came here?" asked Varsus.

"I am here on behalf of my leader, Wakeen," said Lura. "I have been friends with several of his lives. He wanted to know if help might be gained from other worlds."

"How did that go?" asked Fayn.

"I am unsure," said Lura. "Events here may benefit Basilisk, or they may not. It has been years since I saw a world untouched by smog."

"Smog?" asked Reginald.

"It's a fume that comes from machines," said Lura. It taints the sky orange at twilight and warps nature to its own ends."

The cart continued to bump along the road as they moved along. Fayn noted that it was moving slowly. The oxen were moving fairly, and Ham was handling them well. So why was it not fast enough?

The roads here were in much better shape, at least. It looked like many people had been at work, putting up cobblestones and such. Someone had been working very hard to get things up and running again. With the bandits weakened and broken, the fences shut down. The roads were running again, and merchants would be back.

Trade would be flowing a lot faster around Antion in the future. But they still needed to be done.

Something worried her.

"We're moving too slowly. These oxen are not fast enough," said Fayn.

"With all the plunder we're getting from this, we're going to be rich anyway," said Reginald. "We did our job before. So why get upset?

"Aklus and Hrunter are dead, and the bandits are wiped. We win."

"Because Relma may need us for another mission," said Fayn. "Have you forgotten the statues? This plunder could be enough to shore up the royal finances. Relma will need a lot of money to do what she does in the future.

"What we bring to her here will help with that."

"Hold up, hold," said Ham. "Duke Letan Dream?"

Varsus stood up and got off the cart as it slowed. Fayn nodded to Lura and stood up. Sure enough, Duke Letan Marn was speaking with several experts. Saul Marn could be seen nearby, listening in on things. Work crews were nearby, and troops were working.