Epilogue:

William found Red lying at the edge of a pier, watching the setting sun.

Her red hair was flowing about her as she lounged on the wood with her hands behind her back. Tanned skin took in the waning light of day above her as green eyes gazed over a cold sea. Her long legs were clasped together, making them appear like a serpent's tail. The spear was by her side, and her shield was set over it as she watched the orangish light. William moved forward, and Red looked back.

"I guess you got Tef's message, huh?" said Red, smiling.

"Yes, yes I did," said William. "Tef delivered it for me. I take it you don't intend to attend the tourney."

"It's not really a tourney," said Red, pulling her legs close and clasping them with gloved hands. Besides, I've seen everything that went into it. I've seen those canons in action already and talked about them. I know how it'll end, more or less.

"End of an era, I guess."

"I don't see it that way," said William. "We are restoring what was in changed form. There will always be a need for knights."

"I noticed," said Red.

William thought about the message and why he'd walked out here. It had been in a hurry, and he'd had been afraid he wouldn't catch her in time. Technically, he had no reason to come out here personally, but he felt he owed her this much. "You understand you are giving up a major opportunity here?"

"Well, it happens," said Red. "I guess Alchives could see me right. I think you could, too.

"But I'm only cut out for pushing papers once someone tracks me down with a crossbow."

"Vines forced our hand," said William. "You have to draw the line somewhere.

"And anyway, it remains to be seen what will happen with him now."

"I guess he did," said Red with a sad smile. She didn't seem in very good sorts right now. "And I guess there will be a lot more force before the end. There is no way the Sorcerer's Guild will take this lying down.

"You got them off guard and played them for fools. They'll be a payback for this."

"I am quite sure there will be," said William, sitting beside her. He was glad to be out of his armor. "And since they are the aggressors who have misused our trust, I imagine it will be quite painful for them."

"You are cute when you pretend to be confident," said Red, stretching out her arms. "Stronger than Anborn, though. I like you."

"What will you do now?" asked William.

"I think I'll head into the Islands of Power," said Red. "Send in some reports on what is going on out there. I hear there's an interest in abolishing slavery and the like. I don't like chains; I never did.

"There's a lot of growing powers out there anyway.

"Lots of chances for real advancement and power."

"Why give up advancement here?" asked William. "You have a real chance."

Red shrugged. "Maybe I'm waiting for something.

"I like the wind on my face and the sun from above. I never looked better than this. What will you do?"

"Back to Artarq with Father. At least once the High King's weapon demonstration is over," said William, feeling sad. He wasn't sure why. "I don't want Raynald to be without us for too long. There are remnants of the Khasmir Campaign to deal with, as well as others. The border forts must be altered to deal with the cannon problem.