[Twelve]

I put the coffee and chocolate down on the table in front of her. She stares at it, but doesn't touch it. Lord knows she needs it.

“Do you think she moved it?” I ask, breaking the increasingly uncomfortable silence.

She nods.

"On purpose?"

She nods again.

Damn, now that is a revelation. But why would she do that to Louise and her family? Before I can ask, Louise talks again.

"She was due to get married. Her father had been having money troubles and was in poor health. He had arranged for her to marry a wealthy viscount from up near Newcastle. She had no say in the matter. Her family needed the alliance."

Wow, I can't imagine being forced to marry someone I don't know for money.

"I take it she didn't want to marry him?"

Louise shakes her head. "The viscount was older—a widower with three small children. He wanted a mother for them, rather than a wife. I don't blame her for wanting to run away from that. But to trap me in her place, that was beyond cruel."

"But why would she do that?" I ask.

"She knew her brother, Hugo, would have come after her and I would have helped him. We were so in love, and Charlotte was envious of what we had. But I always believed we could talk his father round and let her have a chance at finding her own match. That's why I was there that day."

"Wait, so Hugo is your husband?" She nods. "And he knows about the doorway?" She nods again. She's going to strain her neck soon.

"He hasn't spoken of it since that day—pretends like it doesn't exist. He doesn't know that I told Matthew about either. But I needed to talk to someone about my old life, and Matthew and I are so similar, I figured, why not?"

"You must have had your suspicions, though? You got stuck there, and she disappeared on the same day," I say, getting back to the matter at hand.

"We did, but just couldn't understand how she could have shut the doorway. Charlotte and I had both been through so many times. I knew she loved it here. I just didn't realise how much."

She finally sips her coffee, and her face transforms—the power of coffee.

"We've been trying to find her. The only thing we've found linked to her has been a painting in a nik nak shop. But realistically, she could be anywhere," I say.

"I wouldn't bother. What's done is done. Despite her poor decisions, I've had a wonderful life with Hugo. Sure, I missed things like fast food and indoor plumbing, but finding her won't bring my parents back."

Oh shit, her mum. I wanted it to be Matt that told her, but I can't let her think her mum’s gone as well.

"Your mum’s not dead. We actually just visited her today at Ipswich community retirement village."

She perks up at that.

"How is she?"

"Well, we'd thought she'd gone nutty—excuse my bluntness. But it's just her memory. She thinks your dad is still alive and that you're still at college. She was lovely to us, though. Matt even asked if we could take you to visit her? She was very excited at that idea."

She takes a bite of chocolate and saviours the moment. I let her take her time; she deserves it.

"I don't think that would be a good idea. What if seeing me triggers her old memories? I don't want to make things worse. And what if someone recognises me and notifies the police? It's too risky."

"Don't you want to see her?" I ask, struggling to understand her reasoning.

"More than anything, but the risks are too great," she says matter-of-factly, end of discussion. "How has Matthew been handling this all?"

I take the hint and let her change the subject. Maybe I can get Matt to convince her later once she's had time to really think about it.

"Like a duck to water, twenty twenty-four suits him," I say, and I can't stop myself from smiling at the thought of him.

She notices and smiles back. "I'm glad he's enjoying it. I was worried about him. He always struggled to find his purpose, his place in life. Not wanting to study or marry—he hardly ever danced at events."

I can picture him in a crowded ballroom, young ladies wearing beautiful dresses, decorated with sparkling jewels—My mental image more than likely skewed by the modern movie depictions I've seen—surrounding Matt and his brothers. Vying for their attention, hoping to gain a husband.

How the heck am I jealous if a bunch of women long dead now? Except through that doorway upstairs, they're very much alive, and very much chasing a man I can't stop thinking about. Lord help me.

"I had best be off. Hugo will wonder where I've disappeared to. Thank you very much for the coffee and chocolate. I can die a happy woman now." She smiles, but it doesn't reach her eyes.

I think all this new information has really taken its toll on her. Tomorrow morning, I'll go pick up Matt so he can go home to make sure she's okay.

I walk her back up the stairs to my room. She's no longer interested in her surroundings and I can tell she just wants to get out of here.

"It was really nice meeting you, Louise," I say, when we reach the wardrobe.

She surprises me by turning around and giving me a big, tight hug.

"Look after him, please. I may be biassed, but he's a wonderful man and deserves only happiness."

"I will," I reply.

I don't like the way she says those words to me, though. Like she's going away for a long time. I want to tell her to wait, to stay and talk to Matt, but instead I watch her climb back through the secret panel and disappear.

I'm about to close it when I notice something out of the corner of my eye. Feeling around, panic rises in me. I brush my hands over it again and again, but it's no use. Because the small lever connecting my world to hers is gone.

She moved her wardrobe.

Word count: 17,728