[Fourteen]

Matt grabs the blanket lying on the end of my bed and throws it over me just as a man emerges from the wardrobe—such a gentleman. I roll my eyes at his dorky awkwardness. 

The man looks at Matt standing beside the bed, then at me, and his eyes bulge. 

"Oh, goodness, I'm very sorry for intruding. I… I was just wanting a quick word with her, or you, or whoever." The poor man is just as flustered as Matt. 

Then it hits me. He's the man in the picture—older, but definitely him. Matt's dad. I quickly button up and throw that ridiculous blanket off me.

Hugo gets a fright as I get up, but quickly realises I am actually wearing clothes. He probably thought I was naked under there—dirty old man. Although to be fair, if he had come through in ten minutes, who knows what things he might have witnessed? I shudder to think. 

"Hi, I'm Wyatt, the owner of this house," I say, and hold out my hand.

"Hugo Summerfield," he says and takes my hand, shaking it vigorously. "You seem awfully young to own this big pile of bricks."

"Well, I guess I am, but I also got it for very cheap. You don't want to know the mess that's beyond that door," I say, shaking my head.

"Yes, Louise told me it is in a frightful state," he replies.

I look over at Matt, and he's still just standing there, in shock.

"Are you alright, son?" Hugo asks.

"You know about the secret doorway?" He says.

"I've always known."

"But mother never said a word."

His dad sighs. "When your mother got trapped and Charlotte disappeared, I wanted nothing more to do with this troublesome piece of wood. We had our suspicions that she was here, and the more time that passed, the more resentful I became."

"And now?" Matt says.

"And now I find out my own sister has caused us all so much pain for so long. I just don't see how your mother and I can get past that kind of hurt," Hugo says, sad brown eyes watching his son.

Matt walks up to him and engulfs him in a big hug.

"We will get through this, father, we always do. If there's anything you need from me, you need only ask," Matt says while embracing his dad.

Hugo pulls away and looks at us both. "There is something I need you to do, two things actually."

"Anything to help," I say, nodding. 

"Don't stop looking for Charlotte. If I know my sister, she wouldn't have gone far. This place, past and present, holds too many fond memories."

Matt and I look at each other. We'd already decided we wouldn't give up the search. There's just too many unanswered questions to let that go.

"We'll try our best," I say.

Hugo hands me a small painted picture of a young woman with blonde hair. This must be Aunty Char. It's not necessarily a face that stands out, but something about her looks oddly familiar. If she is still in the area, perhaps I've seen her around. Although she has aged a good thirty-plus years, she could look completely different now.

"This is Charlotte a few weeks before her engagement was announced. It's the last image of her before her disappearance," Hugo says.

That explains the sad eyes and forced smile. 

"And the other thing?" Matt asks.

"Please, set up a time to visit Mrs Montgomery. Your mother is reluctant, but if you set up a visit, I will make sure she's there," Hugo says.