Chapter 8- Not the eternal

A taxi pulled up to 35 Portland Row. Y/n and Lockwood stepped out of the taxi from different doors. Y/n continued hugging herself from the cold. 

"Y/n/n, I can't stand it anymore. Say something. Anything. Please." Lockwood pleads. "We won. We beat Winkman."

Y/n continued walking. 

"We got the mirror. It's safe with Barnes. George will be back any moment." Lockwood continues. "You can relax, it's over."

Y/n turned around to face him, Lockwood stopped startled. "No, it's not. We almost died tonight because of your bloody bet, and now probably every relic hunter is out to kill us. They could be watching us right now, or waiting for us inside the house. What are we doing this for? What does any of this mean if we end up getting stabbed or dead at the bottom of the Thames with no body left to care? This doesn't feel like winning." Y/n said softly and she turned around to continue walking.

Lockwood looked down as he watched her walk to the house. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y/n sat down on her bed wringing her wet hair, she was all changed and dry from the fiasco. She wore a blue t-shirt and dark blue comfortable pants. She brushed her soft h/c hair and glanced down at the necklace Lockwood gave her, she bit her lip and carefully placed inside a pouch.

~with Locky~

Lockwood stood in his bedroom putting on a fresh white shirt as he looked outside the window. 

Y/n was in the kitchen drinking a warm cup of hot chocolate and reading a book, waiting for Lockwood. She heard the door open, knowing instantly who it was but she kept her head down. He closed the door and stared at her for a few seconds. 

"I'm sorry." Lockwood said and you glanced up to meet his eyes. "You were right. I got totally carried away on this job. I was thoughtless and reckless" Lockwood apologized sincerely, you drank a sip of hot chocolate to hide your smile. He walked towards you and sat next to you, you place your mug down and faced him, he took your hand in his and he smiled and his heart warmed when you didn't pull away.

"I just wanted to say, don't give up on us. Please. Or...what I should really say is...don't give up on me." Lockwood said looking you in the eyes. "To be honest, the bottom of the Thames used to be far more appealing place to be. And really no one would care. But now...now...I have something to live for." Lockwood said giving your hand a squeeze.

"Cream and sugar or just plain hot chocolate?" You ask. 

Lockwood blinked at you confused and he glanced down at her mug. 

"Cream and sugar." He responds. 

"Okay." Y/n said. "But if George comes in and sees you using his favorite mug, I'm not responsible for the consequences." You warn.

Lockwood smiled and chuckled as he stares at you. 

"Can I...can I hug you?" He asked softly. 

Y/n looked at him for a second. "You don't have to ask." She whispered back. 

Lockwood's arms wrapped around Y/n in a tight hug and hers wrapped around his neck just as tightly. He breathed in the scent of her shampoo and he kissed the top of her head. Relieved that she will stay. 

~approximately half an hour later~

"I was right about that Mary Dulac book, wasn't I? It's mostly nonsense. Lots of babble about forbidden knowledge and the mysteries of creation." Lockwood said as he watched Y/n reached, he placed some bread down.

"Didn't you see this bit about Bickerstaff? Listen." Y/n said and faced Lockwood. " 'Yes, I killed him. Shot him with my father's pistol, sealed him with iron and buried him deep. Yet I still see him when I close my eyes, swathed in his velvet cloak, performing his rituals.'" Y/n reads.