3 - Lugr and The Bayonet

TW: Violence and Politics

"A Russian will not hesitate to kill another Russian if it means forwarding his own interests." -Igor Shafaverich

WRRF looked at his paperwork, the white sheets present on his desk... the rampant lines of words confused his brain. How long had he been writing? He had been doing paperwork for so long, his mind wasn't processing the words anymore. He just looked at the keywords and signed them off, cause he couldn't be bothered with most of these. His hands shuffled around the papers, his eyes darting across the desk. Looks like... he's finished for today. He sighed, leaning back. He would have to repeat the same tedious process tomorrow. Isn't that just wonderful? Of course not.  WRRF's mind was filled with a sense of exhaustion, his brain refusing to process any of the dull paperwork he was reading over. It felt like he was reading the same words over and over again, the same meaningless words he had already read dozens of times before. It was all just... so boring. He let out a sigh of frustration, leaning back into his chair. He had to admit, paperwork was not one of his favorite tasks. It was always so mundane and tiring, and it felt like he never had enough time to get everything done. It was a bore, a fucking bore, that's what it was. He can't even remember a single time he enjoyed the paperwork. "It's just such a drag..." WRRF muttered to himself, leaning back his chair with a groan. His eyes scanned over the paperwork again, quickly recognizing that none of the words were really registering in his head. He was simply signing and filling the sheets without actually reading any of the words written down on them. "I can't believe I have to do this every single day..." He muttered. Before he started thinking. "...Am I going crazy? Would I even know?" He started muttering and thinking to himself.  "I really hope I'm not going crazy..." WRRF continued to mumble to himself, starting to worry. He began to think back over all the paperwork he had signed over the past week. It felt like he was just filling out all the sheets randomly, without even reading them. It all felt rather confusing. His thoughts started to spiral as he became more and more worried and confused. "I hope I'm not going crazy..." He repeated.

His rambling was broken with a knock on his door. "It's Ukhta, Sir, someone has send you a letter." Ukhta spoke from the other side of the door. WRRF couldn't express how much joy he felt when he heard a voice that wasn't his own. WRRF quickly perked up and scrambled to his feet, his relief at hearing anyone else's voice being immense. His mind was filled with nothing but chaos and confusion, and the sound of Ukhta speaking outside his office door was like a breath of fresh air. "Give me that letter." He demanded, feeling his excitement rise. Ukhta simply slipped the letter on his desk and left. WRRF tore the letter open, he wasn't sure who send it but he was excited nonetheless. He glanced at the writing... but as he continued the smile on his face faded. The a expression of horror.

"Dear Revolutionary Front,

This is your neighbor down-south, Komi, speaking. Your most likely confused as to why we're sending you this letter? It's simple really, for too long have you terrorized the people of Arkhangelsk with your authoritarian ideology of Communism. I'm not gonna drag this as we both value our precious time, Surrender, hand over your guns and men and capitulate. Maybe then we'll drop your criminal charges. However, if you refuse this ultimatum for peaceful surrender and reunification, then I'm afraid we have to take action accordingly.

For All Russia,
Democratic Republic of Komi."

Shit. Shit. Shit. This one word repeated in WRRF's mind. He wasn't prepared for something like this, especially not after the paperwork. He gritted his teeth, as he gripped the paper in his palms. Authoritarian, criminal, terrorize. The audacity of these people to call him these words angered WRRF. He simply put his palms on his forehead. "You have to be fucking with me..." He muttered to himself. He wasn't even sure he was gonna win this if he didn't surrender. Maybe he should? If he loses, he probably will be hanged, even though he did nothing wrong.  WRRF's mind was filled with sudden panic and dread as he read the letter, his thoughts and imagination spinning a hundred different possible scenarios of what would happen if he refused or decided to surrender. He didn't even want to imagine the consequences of this will be if he lost, which only heightened his anxiety even further. He felt like his whole world was collapsing around him, as he stared at the paper in his hands, feeling like he was in a fever dream. He felt like he was running out of time, and had to hurry and make a decision before it was too late. Which he was, this entire situation was a ticking timebomb. Why now? This was a sudden ultimatum, almost too sudden... yes both nations didn't like each other but this was odd. But that's when he realized... He had been putting less pressure on the border with Komi. He put too much focus on other factors and completely neglected his border down south. "...Fuck." WRRF quickly realized his blunder as he read the letter again. He had completely forgot to keep the pressure on Komi's borders, and had been focusing his attention to other matters instead. Now that he had failed to keep that pressure, the neighboring nation had taken the opportunity to issue this ultimatum. He felt like kicking himself for being so stupid, allowing this to happen because he overlooked it. He couldn't believe that his negligence had led to this situation. Should he surrender? If he moves his troops, he might fall into a bigger mess. Maybe he should take the offer...