11

The air was thick with heat and my outstretched limbs tangled together as i rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Once again i had slept in Rafes bed, he insisted upon sleeping in the guest room, saying his bed was bigger and me and Mabel could stay in his room for the night. White linen sheets tangled over me and Mabels eyes drooped heavy with sleep, her breaths deep and slow. As time slowly passes Mabel starts shifting slightly, her soft hair tangling against the pillow, until eventually her eyes flutter open and a smile creeps onto her face. Her hearbeat is soft as i hold her on my chest, feeling the same as the day she was born and i held her in this very position. My world had felt as though it was collapsing untill i heard her first cry, untill i held hear soft head against mine and saw i her big bright eyes staring back at me. Dad had came in that day, exactly five minutes after she was born. He told me she was beautiful. He told me i would be cursing myself if i kept her. After i denied he told me he didnt love me anymore. At that moment i couldn't believe he ever did.

The sun shines rays through the curtains of tannyhills grand hallways. Rafe emerges from the door at the end of the hallway, his towel low. Very low. Mabel rests softly on my hip but immediately wants to go to Rafe as soon as she sees him.
"I think she prefers you at this point." I say as Mabel leans towards him.
"Who wouldnt?" He says rolling his eyes ironically as he takes Mabel in his strong arms. Oh god, hes so beautiful.
"Sshhhhhh Cameron, Its too early for you that." I close me eyes as he smiles sweetly at me then hands me Mabel.
"Okay i need to get some real clothes on, But i will be with you in a moment. I have surprise plans for us!"
"Ooooh yippee!" I say happily.

I stagger to the stove and start to make some pancakes, as i hear someone walk into the kitchen behind me. I turn around to see Sarah walking in, her hair tangled from bedsheets and eyes drooped down with heavy mascara. It looks like shes been crying.
"Are you okay?" i ask softly, the morning birds humming outside almost drowning out my voice. She turns to me slowly, almost wincing at the sight of me.
"Im- Im really sorry you know? for the other day." she looks at me softly. Its a lovely gesture but it doesnt take back what she did and the humiliation she put me through. I nod softly, not to accept her apology but to let her know i appreciate it, even a little. Mabel starts cooing and i immediately know Rafe has entered the room. He barely acknowledges sarah, to which she roles her eyes at, and walks straight over to Mabel. I turn around to find Rafe standing behind me, Mabel sitting comfortably in his arms, like its natural.
"Good morning princess," Rafe smiles, even though he's already seen me this morning, "Do you need help?" He looks down and immediately starts laughing which makes me nervous. I turn my head to see the pancake i made almost black its so burnt.
"How about a swap, huh?" He asks leaning Mabel
over towards me as he takes the pan.

Rafe lies comfortably down on the sofa, his long, muscular body stretching out the whole way as his arms bend behind his head. Mabel lies on his stomach, her small body breathing heavily, which is what she does when she feels most safe. Im still sitting at the kitchen island, messaging my mum on Rafes phone as my one is dead at the minute and takes a while to charge up. As im entering her number a message pops up from topper. I know i shouldnt snoop but the notification was right there on the screen. I almost read it alloud but had to stop myself, "You gotta do it today, come on!" At that moment by abandonment issues definitely kicked in and i immediately thought he would ditch me. I press the message a scroll up a little, trying to find what hes talking about. It cant be that bad. Cant it?

Topper 🏌️💙🤓

Top -2 hours ago
Are you asking her today?

1 hour ago - Rafe
I think so, im really nervous though.

Top
You gotta do it today, Come on!

Oh fuck. Theres another girl. Ive been swooning over him and theres another girl. Just then a new message arrives in.

Top -just now
Come on man! Who wouldn't want to go to midsummers with you?

Fuck! Hes even asking her to midsummer's. When we were in eighth grade Rafe told me that the first girl he ever is serious about, will be the first  girl he ever tales to midsummers. Hes never ever taken one, untill now i guess. Another new message arrives.

Top
Especially Valerie! Youre both practically soul mates.

Oh fuck. Oh fuck. Oh fuck. I am the girl. He wants to take me to midsummers! I am smiling like a fucking fool at Rafes phone.