14.5: [Historical Archive 1]: The Fall and Rise (1)

Historical Archive 1: The Fall and Rise (1)

"No matter how strong and dedicated a leader may be, he must find root and strength amongst the people. He alone cannot save a nation. He may guide, he may set the tone, he may dedicate himself and risk his life, but only the people may save themselves."
— President Ferdinand Marcos, November 30, 1972.

***

Military Camp General Simeon A. Ola, Legazpi City, Provincia Albay—
September 11, 1978; 12:49 AM—

[The Golden Hind has appeared in Ceryneia.]

Army Captain Solas Araneta nodded and immediately returned the handset to the telephone set. He looked towards his subordinates, junior officers, and NCO's alike and promptly said.

"The Erymanthian bear must be killed on the mountain." Captain Araneta spoke with slight hesitation. However, a short nod gave his subordinates all he needed. "Raise the sword and hunt him down."

Immediately, all the soldiers ran out of Araneta's room, armed with their carbines and pistols. The junior officers went to the offices of the camp's commanders, while the NCO's dropped towards the barracks.

Towards the office of BGen. Barrameda, two lieutenants suddenly opened the door. One of them was armed with a cold M1911, pointing the barrel towards Bgen Barrameda. Barrameda's eyes immediately widened and he stood up, the barrel following his chest.

"W-What is the meaning of this!?" Barrameda yelled in confusion and shock.

"The sun sets on the British Empire." One of the lieutenants then threw cuffs towards the Brigadier General, who looked at it and returned his gaze towards the lieutenants.

"I will no—" Barrameda was suddenly stopped as the unarmed lieutenant walked towards him and kicked him in the groin, immediately making him collapse to the floor.

"Wear it." the lieutenant ordered.

"W-why..." Barrameda desperately inquired, gasping for air as both of his hands covered his aching jewels.

Meanwhile, outside on the grounds of the camp, several enlisted soldiers were prematurely awakened as the sound of the bells rang loud in the camp. Hundreds woke up in the middle of the early morning and rushed to the rally grounds.

They were greeted by their lieutenants and NCO's, all standing in a single row and at ease. The soldiers, restless and tired, hastily formed their ranks and, after estimating their distances with their arms, dropped and stood at attention.

With silence reigning loudly upon the camp, the NCO's went and immediately inspected the formation. Increasing the heart rate of the soldiers and awakening them from their half-sleeping state. While the NCO's still inspected the ranks.

Captain Solas Araneta then walked towards the front and immediately shouted. "Attention, 3rd Mechanized Infantry! Salute!"

"Saludo!" The formation gave a crisp salute while they simultaneously shouted in greeting.

Captain Solas Araneta then placed both his arms behind his back and informed his soldiers. "I shall not sugarcoat it. I am tired."

The soldiers stared at Captain Solas in confusion, it wasn't a normal comment after all.

"I am tired of the situation plaguing our nation. How long do you think we will have to wait when everything changes? Our institutions have eroded past a point of no return." he laughed. "Military officials sitting on seats for academics and professionals in their fields. Now look at this, barely any maintenance on our equipment, a war with our own countrymen to the south, and a crippled economy that is struggling to feed its own children!? Why?!"