The Start of Term Feast

19:45, Wednesday, 1st September, 1993

Today was the first day of my 3rd year at Hogwarts. I had turned 13 just last month, on the 1st of August. The sorting ceremony was surprisingly boring this year. We watched the new first years come in and get sorted. Almost all of them were sorted into Hufflepuff, and only a small few were Slytherins. One of the new Slytherins came and sat next to me. "Hi, I'm Timothy!" He introduced.

"Hi." I said bluntly.

"Amazing, this place isn't it? Both of my parents are Muggles, so I never knew anything about Hogwarts, or magic, or anything really!"

At this, I moved a little further away from Timothy and turned back to face the front. Dumbledore stood up to start his start of term speech. He spoke on and on about new teachers and school rules and stuff like that. One thing was different from his usual speech, however.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, as a request of the ministry of magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured." This caused the students to whisper frantically. "The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the ground. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one that gets in their way..."

"Now that everyone is caught up with everything, pick your favourite tune and let us sing!" Dumbledore said, returning to his usual merry self. Everyone seemed to forget about what he just said.

"Ugh," I thought. "Not this again!"

The whole school started to sing the lyrics to the school song.

"Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,

Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,

So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot." They all sang to different tunes.

"Very good!" Dumbledore said with a smile. "And finally, our school motto!" Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus!"

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus!" The school chorused after him.

"Well done! Dig in!"

Loud chatter started as the students began filling their plates with things like chicken legs and Yorkshire puddings. I turned to my left to talk to a girl called Millicent Bulstrode.

"So, how was your holiday?" I asked her.

"It was... mm... fine," she said through a mouthful of chicken.

I nodded and looked up from my plate. Draco Malfoy was sitting directly across from me. "Wow, his hair does look really cute.." I thought before returning to my dinner.