chapter 14 The best anniversary for the best mom

This happened the day after my mom's phone call with my so called father. Mom was crying the whole night,  after she had that phone call.

I promised myself that I would make my mom's anniversary the best. I just needed to find out how to do that.
Then I got an idea from looking at something that I found  on the internet. "Hey mom I saw that there is this cooking contest, and whoever wins will be able to write and publish their own cook book!" I said.
My mom who had been sad up until  now began to smile. "What do you think I should make?" Mom asked.
"Your famous peach and caramel cake!" I shouted with complete excitement in my voice. "Alright when is the competition?" Mom asked.

"It is in  about 8 hours." I replied. "Okay I will call Simon's father, and ask him to give us one of his peaches. He has the best fruit garden in this neighbourhood after all." Mom said.
"I will go and get the caramel, eggs, flour and baking soda." I replied , but before I could leave mom stopped me. "Hold on Sadie we still have to register ourselves to be a part of the contest." Mom said.

"Oh right sorry got a little too exited." I replied.  When we got to the place where the competition was being held mom literally stopped dead in her tracks. She was looking at a women who had black hair, blue eyes and a bright blue dress. "Diana?" Mom asked. The women turned around, and her face changed from  confusion to happiness and anger.

"Well well if it isn't my old rival Lisa Cartor having a terrible life I presume?" The women named Diana asked. "Well I wouldn't say my life is terrible." Mom replied.

"And Who is this little boy your pathetic son?" Diana asked. "No she is my respectful daughter Sadie Cartor."  Mom calmly replied.

"Funny I've heard that you couldn't have children." Diana said. At that moment my mom became silent.

Diana continued to talk: "Like seriously you were the leader of the Cooking club, and yet you were rejected by all the bakeries that you applied to, because you did not have very good grades, and because of that you got a job at a stupid construction company.

You dated Zack the most popular guy  in school. You even got married to him, and yet you can't reproduce a child. Aren't you ashamed as a women? You can't have children! You are pathetic. A failure as a women. At least Me and my loving husband can have children whenever we want to.

I'm surprised Zack didn't leave you for another women yet. I mean I wouldn't even get married to my husband Jhon if he was not able to have children. Hahaha!" Diana continued to laugh, as tears started coming down my mother's cheeks. I whispered  to my mom: "Come on mother don't let this useless material spoil your day.

This lady wants to make you miserable. Don't let her control you. Your  strong, kind and you are a good cook. You taught  me how to play Basketball. You always came to my Basketball games.

You always listened to my problems, and gave me advice on how to solve them. I might not be your real daughter,  but just by your actions alone  that shows me that you really are a good  mother, and I think any child would love to have a parent like you."

Mom wiped away her tears and smiled. "Well Diana I'm tired of talking about myself . Why don't we talk about you for a second. Didn't you say that if your husband Jhon wasn't able to have children you wouldn't have married him?"

Mom asked. "Yes what is the point in marrrying a man who can't even have children?" Diana asked, as she continued to laugh.

"That means you don't actually love him." Mom said. "What does love have to do with anything?" Diana asked confused.

"Well once you have found a partner that you love. The next step is to get married. The last step is to have children. Listen to me if you just see you partner as a tool to have sex with, and a tool to have children with. You might end up getting divorced.

A marriage without love is pointless. If your partner does not have any love for you. They might break up, or even cheat on you.

Make sure that you and your husband actually love each other. Otherwise your life wull turn into one of divorce and sadness." Mom said.

Mom then entered us into the competition. We didn't win the competition, but we got second place. The judge also said that the cake tasted very good,

and since I am Lisa Cartor's daughter I have to agree with the judge. Plus mom used the left over ingredients to make another Peach caramel cake.
It tasted like sweet heven. And by the end of the day my mom said: "This was the best anniversary ever." Mission accomplished. I thought to myself.