Chapter 13

Veronica sits on the couch, cuddled into blanket with a bowl of popcorn in her lap. Archie just carried Linda to bed. She fell asleep during family movie night.

"My love?" Archie asks carefully as he sits down next to her and reaches for her hands. A soft smile sits on his lips. "Can I ask you something?"

"What do you want Archie?" she asks giggling.

"Hear me out okay? This is a little random but I think you should talk to Betty and figure things out and—"

"No! She was my best friend and she kissed my boyfriend! She ruined us, the family we could have had"

"You mean the family we have now? Baby I know she hurt you but so did I and you forgave me. She was your best friend. Don't you think it would be great if she knew about Linda and could have relationship with her? I feel awful for taking your best friend away. Jug forgave her. They are actually dating again and if you and Linda move into my house at some point they will live across the street"

"Did Mrs. Cooper move out?"

Archie nods "she moved into a smaller house so Betty and Jug could have the house for their family. Just like my mom moved out so I could have the house for mine"

Veronica sighs "maybe you're right. It's been a long time but I want you to go with me"

"Of course love"

"And it doesn't mean that I will forgive her. We'll start with talking and see where things lead us and Linda won't come with us. I want to talk to her first before she meets my daughter"

"That sounds like a plan" Archie smiles. He cups her cheeks and softly kisses her lips. "I have your back okay? You're my only one"

"Did you visit them... since... well you know"

"Just a few times for dinner but I was never alone with her. Jug was always there. I miss the four of us together. We were inseparable. I know what happened was horrible for you and Jug but it was so long ago and look at where we're at now" he says with a small smile. Her face is still in his hands. "Wouldn't it be so awesome if we could all hang out again? With our kids? I mean right now we only have Linda but in the future"

"I guess" she agrees. "I need to talk to her and see how I feel okay? I forgave you because I love you and because you're the father of my baby. I don't have any connection to her anymore"

"Let's go there for lunch tomorrow. We can drop off Linda at my mom's"

"Okay" Veronica nods "but you'll stay with me!"

"Yes Ronnie" he chuckles.

                                           •••

Archie called Betty to ask if she would like to talk to Veronica. Betty agreed to a meeting with excitement. She hasn't seen Veronica since they left for college. She misses her best friend and she never really had the chance to apologize. She wants to know how her life is going. If she had the baby and if Archie knows about it.

Veronica holds on tight to Archie's hand. Their fingers are interlaced. Her heart is beating out of her chest, she's nervous.

The door swings open. Veronica stares at Betty.

"Oh my god V!" The blond woman says with a wide smile on her face. She reaches her hands towards Veronica but she takes a step back and pulls Archie's arm in front of her body as a way to shield herself.

Betty's hands drop. She takes a step back. "I'm so sorry Veronica"

"Come on Ronnie. Let's get inside and talk" Archie says. His voice sounds gentle. The little smile of his face makes her feel safer. She looks into his eyes. They look just as comforting as always.