9

Jihoon had returned home after his parents summoned him for a discussion. It had been a while since he last visited; he had made the decision to move out and live independently, and to his surprise, his parents had allowed it. As he entered the house, his mom hurried from the kitchen to greet him.

"Hi honey, how have you been?"

"Hi mom, I'm doing well, just busy with university and stuff," he replied. Despite his attempt to smile, his nervousness was evident to his mother, who knew exactly why he felt that way.

"Your dad is in his office, waiting for you," she informed him.

Jihoon simply nodded and made his way to his father's office. After hesitating for a moment, he gently knocked on the door and let himself in.

"Father."

"Welcome home, son. Please, take a seat," his father said, gesturing to the couch.

Jihoon obeyed his father's instruction and sat down, while his dad settled in the chair opposite him.

"What was the reason for calling me?"

"Son, you understand that you're expected to take over our family business, right?"

"I do."

"Now that you're in university and reaching an age where you need to immerse yourself more in the actual world that lays underneath all of that. The first step is you need to take is to attend official gatherings, celebrations, and events."

Jihoon struggled to process his father's words, feeling resistant to the idea. He had no desire to enter the whatever world his father described and felt no enthusiasm about attending such meetings. To him, they were merely occasions where rich individuals congregated to brag about their wealth and status, masking their true intentions behind forced bright smiles. Jihoon recalled attending one such event when he was younger, dedicated to the birthday of his father's friend's son. Even at a young age, he saw through the artificial personas of the attendees and was repelled by their relentless pursuit of money and the way they were ready to sacrifice everything for it. It was a world he didn't belong to, yet he found himself unwillingly a part of it. Though he wanted to halt the conversation right then and there, he knew deep down that he had no other choice. So, he kept his thoughts to himself and waited for his father to reveal more.

"There will be occasional smaller meetings throughout the year, but the most crucial one is the grand ball, organized directly by the ministry. Its primary purpose is to introduce the new heirs of Korea's largest corporations. This event is pivotal because it attracts significant investors, and it's imperative that you make a favorable impression on them to secure their support for our company. Do you understand the importance of this?"

The weight of the word "impression" added immense pressure to Jihoon. Throughout his life, his parents had emphasized the need to "impress" others with his grades and achievements. This relentless pursuit of validation had deprived him of a normal childhood, causing him to stress over his academic performance until he completed high school. Just when he thought he could break free from this suffocating expectation, it returned with even greater force. He questioned why he had to constantly seek validation from others. Why couldn't he just live life on his own, without needing someone's approval? These someone being people he didn't even know nor cared about. Now, his life seemed to be reverting to the same stifling pattern. Unable to find the words to express his thoughts, he simply nodded in response to his father.

"The event is scheduled for April. There will be heirs from other companies, all of whom excel in academics and extracurriculars like you. However, there's something else each of you should possess."

Jihoon looked at his father with a puzzled expression. He had graduated with honors, enrolled in a prestigious university, excelled in sports, cooking, music, and had a solid reputation. What more could be expected of him?

"You see, investors admire those who are hardworking, focused on their goals, and have no personal distractions interfering with their work. This means your personal life must be stable as well."

Jihoon began to sense where this conversation was heading, and it was the last thing he wanted to address.

"You're at an age where you could consider starting a family. It would demonstrate maturity and seriousness, qualities essential for leading a company. So, I have to ask, are you seeing someone at the moment?"

The younger Park's eyes widened slightly at the question. It had been years since the accident, yet he hadn't entered into any new relationships since then. His parents were aware of the trauma it had caused him and how it shattered his trust in people. However, he suspected they believed he had recovered from it, which he hadn't.

"No, Father, you know that I-"

"Yes, son, I remember. But don't you think it's time to move on? It's been almost four years. How much longer will you dwell on the past?"

Jihoon understood his father's point, but it was easier said than done.

"I won't arrange a marriage for you for your sake. However, we need you to bring a partner to this event, someone you potentially see yourself marrying in the future. Son, I'm giving you the chance to make your own choice, but the girl must meet the expectations of our society. She should be at your level, pursuing a degree from a top university, coming from a full family with a good income, proficient in playing musical instruments, having hobbies, and presenting herself in a manner that complements your status."

«Wow, is he listing the criteria for the "Miss Universe", because what the hell are those standards?» Jihoon thought.

"Father, I feel I'm still too young for things like marriage. I haven't even finished my degree yet. Wouldn't it be better if I focused on getting acquainted with business matters?" Jihoon asked.

"Jihoon, as the heir to the top company in our country, you need to excel in every aspect. Other directors are grooming their sons with every resource available, and I won't allow you to be left behind. So, find yourself a suitable partner and bring her to the ball. End of discussion" his father said firmly.

As Jihoon listened to his father's words, he felt a heavy burden descend upon his shoulders again. He understood the weight of his family's expectations as the heir, but he wasn't sure he was prepared for it all, especially marriage. Knowing his father wouldn't budge, he simply nodded silently, realizing resistance would be futile. With a deep breath, he accepted his fate and left the room.