Chapter Twenty-Five: Trouble on Hop Street

Cairn

Evergreen, Laurel's Rise

Anise Bergamot had been right. The upset and discord dividing the kingdom had spread, like a disease, reaching into every household and conversations. It reached the capital like a wave breaking against a rock.

When he had been a toddler, an illness had swept through the city. Some said it came from Amity in the north, others said it came from the muddy marshes of Wych to the east. The former was more likely, since the heart city had only a few weeks before suffered their own plague. Cairn's father had fallen ill and banished his wife and two sons from the castle the same night. He had sent them to the Baobab Estate, to stay with his mothers, until the all clear was given. Eventually it was. The illness passed, and, though his health was never quite the same, King Caolan welcomed his family back with eager arms.

Like that illness, Cairn had hoped the unrest amongst his people, between his supporters and naysayers, would eventually pass.

One by one, his Dukes arrived briefly in the capital to pledge their allegiance while also warning him of unwelcome words being shared amongst their people. Even Tadhg's father showed up, though luckily with few words of naysayers, who he had already placated. Duke Reed had greeted his son warmly, asking him to come back to Juniper Brae for the Duchess, but Tadhg had declined.

Cairn was relieved. Tadhg had once said, many years ago, that he was born in Evergreen palace for a reason. That the Hillock Gods wanted him there.

With Tadhg's encouragement, and sometimes bribery, Cairn attended more assemblies, listening to people, both noble and common folk, speak of their worries or issues. Nobody spoke aloud the doubt and unrest that had settled upon court, but he could see it in the waiting stares of those assembled. They were waiting for him to mess up. Waiting for him to give them a reason to doubt him.

So he spent his days working and his nights with Tadhg in his bed.

Cleric Iruin was relentless. While he had been kept at bay for the weeks that followed the festival of Jora Pomona, with promises of a meeting with the king and apologies that the king's workload was overflowing, such strategic words did not keep him out of the castle. He lurked around the castle with a permanent scowl, as if there was something unpleasant under his nose. When there were no more excuses left; the weather turning from summer to autumn far quicker this year, and the harvest festival of Jora Gethera almost giving the poor man a heart attack, Cairn agreed to meet with him.

He was a burly man, with a strong jaw and shaved head to hide a receding hairline, clad in the same scarlet livery and the same look of indignation as he sneered at the young king on his throne.

' I am certain that Cardinal Blythe will be concerned by the behaviour I have witnessed since I arrived in your kingdom, Your Gra...'

' Cardinal Blythe shouldn't be concerned. I will worry about my own people and kingdoms, Mr Iruin, and I am not concerned about their behaviour during our sacred festival.'

' I do not refer just to that...festival as you call it, but the civil unrest taking place in the north by the Amitian borders, and the behaviour of their king,' Iruin almost shouted. ' Your Grace.' he added hastily, blanching when Cairn frowned.

' What behaviour of their king?'

Iruin bristled under his gaze but steeled himself and continued. ' Cardinal Blythe and myself are concerned that due to your lack of preparation for the crown and history of scandalous and drunken behaviour, you are too inexperienced for the role.' When Cairn didn't comment, he continued. ' I am also told that your late brother has a son who traditionally should take the crown once he is of age and have a regent in the meantime. Amity are happy to provide that regent, which I am sure would allow you to return to your...ahem lifestyle,'